Thread: Keeping track of your N, N- and N+ exposed sheets

Keeping track of your N, N- and N+ exposed sheets

What system do you use to keep track of your N, N- and N+ exposed sheets? Post-it notes stuck to the holder? Individually numbered holders/sides with detailed records? Other method?

How do you keep track of your N, N- and N+ sheets after exposing without individually labeling every holder and elaborate record keeping? I am simply too lazy to do that, and hence tend to do only N development; except when using Quickloads, then I write on the individual envelope.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Re: Keeping track of your N, N- and N+ exposed sheets

I have numbered holders and a notepad. If when I get home, I don't have enough sheets to develop or just want to do it later, the sheets go into 3 different plastic envelopes for storage.

Hany,

I can't remember the last time I had a N- negative. I must shoot 95% N and only the occasional N+ negative. I put a post it on the N+ holders and carry an extra empty film box to transport N+ films back to the darkroom.

Back when I followed Picker's shoot one negative N and one negative N+1 1/2 I would shoot the odd numbered negative holders as N and the even numbered holders as N+1 1/2. Nothing fancy, just consistency.

I hope this helps and I hope to see you at a Fine Focus Workshop this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hany Aziz View Post
    How do you keep track of your N, N- and N+ sheets after exposing without individually labeling every holder and elaborate record keeping? I am simply too lazy to do that, and hence tend to do only N development; except when using Quickloads, then I write on the individual envelope.
    I write on my holders in pencil on the white space. When I get home I unload the film into separate film boxes for each development time and mark how many sheets are inside.

-Darren

I have the holders numbered by sheet, i.e., the first holder has sheet 1 and sheet 2, holder 5 is 9 and 10... Then all you need to do is use a memo pad to keep track of the development for each negative. If you mostly do N, then all you need to record are the sheets that are not N. Besides, if you too lazy to take notes, what are you doing with LF?:-)

LF is paradise for the anally retentive! Part of the attraction for me is that rigorous structure is such a natural thing in LF.

- Numbered holders
    - A notebook, with notes on each exposure keyed to the holder number.
    - N+ and N- sheets are segregated when then holders are unloaded - unexposed film is stored in separate film boxes
    - In cases where I bracket exposures, I will clip a corner on the N+ or N- negative to clearly identify it after processing.
    - After processing, I transfer my exposure notes to a record sheet that is later filed with the proof sheet. The record sheet includes both in-camera exposure information, and also printing notes.

I pretty much do what Louie does. You have to use numbered holders! There are several ways to mark the holders so the number shows up on the edge of the film.
    Check the archives, recently there was a post with a list of really good ideas to number holders. Check it out.
    -Brad

ZIplock bags

I just write in pencil on the white strip provided on the holders for doing exactly that. If using quickloads, write on the raised white strip that is there for retention in the holder. Absolutely no need to use numbered holders. The pencil writing on the holders is very durable yet wipes off quickly and cleanly with just a wet finger.

Richard

I use stickies and then back in the baggie I keep the holders in.
    If on the road and have to unload, I have separate boxes marked (which I hate)
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site