Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apo Ronar 240/9 or Fuji A 240/9 for 4x5 inch?

Apo Ronar 240/9 or Fuji A 240/9 for 4x5 inch?

"As I indicated earlier one lens you are looking at is almost 60 years old" Bob, the Rodenstock has N?10,824,961.

Q.-Tuan Luong , I only look for field experience with this two lenses

"What do you mean by success? Over 90% of all vertical process cameras were equipped with the Apo Ronar or it's sister the Apo Ronar CL"

Ok Bob, my primary focus isn't repro but landscape (I know that the Fuji also is a process lens with optimal correction at 1:1.

LF photographer I found on the Net, Kerry Thalmann, Robert Jones use the 240/9 Fuji, I did'nt find landscape photographer on the web who use the 240/9 Apo Ronar, it's why I 'm looking for field experience...

Bob wrote:

"A six digit Rodenstock serial number starting with 521xxx is a very old version from about 1933 The 10,xxx.xxx version is from the late 80's"

And:

"As I indicated earlier one lens you are looking at is almost 60 years old. "

Bob, you need to go back and read the original question. The 521xxx serial number was for the 240mm Fujinon A. This lens is definitely NOT 60 years old, or anything close to it. Fuji did not begin making large format lenses until the mid-1970s. I have a 240mm Fujinon A that was purchased new in March, 1998 with a serial number of 522492. So, the 521xxx serial number the original poster asked about probably dates the 240 A to sometime in the 1990s (or perhaps late-1980s at the earliest).

As to the original poster's question. Yes, I use the 240 A and love it. It is a great lens for close-ups, but also wonderful for general purpose landscapes - when stopped down to about f16 - f22. The fact that it's in a Copal #0 shutter and has huge coverage are added bonuses. That said, the APO Ronar is also a great lens, and even though it's in a Copal #1 shutter, it is almost as small and light as the 240mm Fujinon A (about an ounce heavier, which is pretty much the weight difference between a Copal #0 and a Copal #1).

One difference between these two lenses, and it probably won't make a bit of difference in actual use, is that the size of the usable image circle of the Ronar (being an Artar type) will remain fairly constant from wide open to fully stopped down. So, the 212mm figure will be pretty accurate over the entire range of f-stops. Fuji does not spec their lens coverage wide open (the 336mm figure is at f22), but I can tell you from experience, it the coverage is considerably less wide open for distant subjects that it is at f22. To get the full 336mm of coverage, you need to stop down to f22. For example, my 180mm f9 Fujinon A is definitely softer in the corners than the center at f9 on 4x5 for distant subjects. A couple reasons I said this is probably not an issue in actual use: The fact the the coverage of the 240mm Fujinon A at f22 is so large (for 4x5), I have never noticed soft corners on 4x5 with this lens even wide open (another way of saying, it's probably more than 212mm of usable image circle even wide open). Most field photographers normally shoot at about f22 anyway, in which case you get the full 336mm image circle, which should be way more than enough for 4x5 (or even 5x7) landscape use. At f16 and f22, the performance of 240mm Fujinon is pretty much at the theoretical diffraction limits (in other words, you can't get any better). The ONLY reason I bring this up is that some people might consider using the 240mm A as a wide angle on 8x10. It can be used for that application, but you need to stop down to at least f22 (not an issue for most 8x10 shooters), and even then you won't have a lot left over for movements. Still, a lens that weighs about 8 1/2 oz. comes in a Copal #0 shutter and covers 8x10 is pretty remarkable.

As Bob mentioned, the APO Ronars are now discontinued and only available from existing stock. The situation is similar for the 240mm Fujinon A (probably for the same reasons Bob stated). It was officially discontinued in August, 1998. There were some lenses still available from existing inventory, and I also believe Fuji has done a couple small volume production runs since as demand dictates. Last I checked, you could still get a new 240mm Fujinon A, but that won't last forever, and you may have to wait in a queue to get one. Jeff Taugner at Badger Graphics has good contacts at Fuji and could probably give you an update in price and avialability.

I have the 240mm Fujinon A and think its a great lens, but I would also not hesitate to recommend the APO Ronar (assuming age, condition and coatings were comparable - both of these lenses are available in both single coated and multicoated variants, so when comparing price, make sure it's apples:apples WRT to the coatings). Although it never hurts to have a little more coverage than you think you might need, the 212mm image circle of the APO Ronar would still be OK for most landscape situations (I also use a 200mm Nikkor M for backpacking with an image circle of 210mm).

As far as landscape photographers who use the APO Ronar, I only personally know of two: Glenn Kroeger, who already posted in this thread, and Howard Slavitt, who also shoots 6x9.

Good luck, you should be happy with the performance of either lens.

Kerry

Thanks all for the field info. Like other landscape photographer I will chose the Fuji 240/9 (it seems to be the "standard lens" in the "light" LF world.