Thread: Just Getting Started

Just Getting Started

Well, I finally got all my gear together to start shooting LF. This past weekend I took about 12 shots and boy was it fun. Tonight I am going to develop the film sheets and see what I got as a result. Although my experience is very, very limited, I can say that using an LF camera is rather addicting and fun to use. I am still getting used to the whole "movement" thing. I will have to take some time and read about how all the swings, tilts and shifts do work with the final result. I have see how they work on the GG, but I am looking forward to seeing how that translates to the image when the lens is stopped down. I am learning as much as I can. Any tips from experience would be helpful too. Finally, here is what I have all set up.

God Bless,
    David

4x5 Calumet CC-400
    Schneider 210mm f/5.6 Symmar S

Re: Just Getting Started

Hi, David.

Your work is terrific on the homepage. Once you get into the new camera, you will likely be as addicted as the rest of us.

Regarding the movements, get a hold of a copy of Steve Simmon's book "Using the View Camera". He's got very easily understood diagrams about all movements and how they affect the image. Tons of other vital information as well.

Enjoy the Calumet. That's one of the under appreciated cameras out there and still does a fantastic job on everything from commercial shoots to landscape.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

David, welcome to the asylum! I know you'll find large format to be an addicting experience.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results. BTW, your CC-400 looks to be one of the best preserved specimens I've ever seen. It looks like it has another 50 years in it!

Go Navy!

Alan

Thanks for looking guys. Tim, I do have Steve's book. I take it out with me to reference things when shooting LF. What I need to do is read it from cover to cover to absorb the knowledge in it. Alan, yes the Calumet is in really great condition. I hope it can provide me with 50 years of service.

God Bless,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davenport View Post
    BTW, your CC-400 looks to be one of the best preserved specimens I've ever seen. It looks like it has another 50 years in it!
    I have an older CC-400 and these things are tanks. They won't die, you have to bury them at a crossroads with a stake through the bellows to get rid of them!

Of course, after using one for a while a lot of folks don't want to get rid of them. Very useful and usable cameras.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    I have an older CC-400 and these things are tanks. They won't die, you have to bury them at a crossroads with a stake through the bellows to get rid of them!

Of course, after using one for a while a lot of folks don't want to get rid of them. Very useful and usable cameras.

Mike
    Definately it seems like a very solid camera and I am glad I was able to pick one up.

God Bless,
    David

I forgot to add that last night I developed my 4x5's. I had 12 which I developed but only 8 came out. One came out almost pure white and the other three were sandwiched together. I used a Yankee daylight tank and I did not seperate 3 of the sheets properly. Oh well, you live and learn.

God Bless,
    David

If you want to try tray development there is a step by step set of instructions on how to develop in trays in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site.

steve simmons

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    If you want to try tray development there is a step by step set of instructions on how to develop in trays in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site.

steve simmons
    Thank you for the heads up on the article. I'll look at them later.

God Bless,
    David