Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help: Shooting Logs

jetcode

Re: Help: Shooting Logs

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    One benefit I found in recording info for each shot is that it reduced my dumb mistake rate. Writing down that you are using a 25R filter with +3 increase in exposure helps you remember to actually set the different exposure. Since I sometimes forget to flip the darkslide it is also useful to know what sheets have been shot. You do need to number your holders, and if you want to match the sheets later you need to notch the film gate with a binary code to mark the sheets. (Or use those cute holders that number sheets.)

I used 4x6 cards with a printed guide for info, but now find that just writing the info on a pocket notebook works as well. I then pull out the pages and keep them with the film to be processed.
    Yesterday in my hurry to capture the moving sunlight (partially obscured by clouds) I removed both dark slides simulatenously ruining the film on the far side, ouch!

I need the record to keep my holders straight, development straight, etc, etc, etc. I could start by recording what film gets loaded into a holder, exposure, development.

A log book will most likely be the easiest thing to use however print makes for a lot less writing.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by rippo View Post
    good point. and many cell phones will record audio data in the same way. i didn't think mine did...but i looked a little further after seeing your post, and it turns out it does. so now i have no excuse except the usual one (laziness).
    Honey what's for dinner?, great, remind me I need +2 development on #12

Lot's of great ideas and solutions here. Thanks for making that happen. As it stands when I arrive at a scene, like yesterday, I literally roll up in my Westfalia, jump out, setup the ready to go tripod, attach camera with lens already attached and open for viewing. I can be setup in 5 minutes or less. This is ideal when the light is moving and time is a ticking. Speaking of timing yesterday was a great example of waiting for the light. As luck would have it I walked away with some great photographs in less than an hour. No logs however. I still need to put that together and now it looks like I can't miss.

I use a Palm Pilot software I wrote, which:

1. calculates all the compensations needed for filters, bellows and reciprocity and then

2. stores film, EI, EV, lens, filter, apert/shutter, corrections and potentially, a note about location or other comments, with a date/time stamp.

It is freeware (donation - ware, to be precise) and you can see screen shots here

Darkcloth Fumbler

since my wife has promised me her palm in the next week or so, this looks interesting. i will give a try! and perhaps miss fewer shots...
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I put the appropriate piece of masking tape on each holder and mark them with all of my info. After I develop the film the negs go in their holders and I mark the info on them with a sharpie. I have an index page for each days shots and this is where I tape my notes from the field. Large holders I can write big and for the 4x5"s I have to write smaller. Very easy to do.

Jim