Thread: Epson V700 Question

Epson V700 Question

Now I know this may sound odd, but have any of you heard any rumors to when epson will be releasing an upgrade to the Epson V700/V750M? I just dont want to go out and buy it and 2 weeks later have a newer model come out.

THANKS!

Re: Epson V700 Question

No rumors but I wouldn't expect anything before Photokina.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSELLAS View Post
    Now I know this may sound odd, but have any of you heard any rumors to when epson will be releasing an upgrade to the Epson V700/V750M? I just dont want to go out and buy it and 2 weeks later have a newer model come out.

THANKS!
    Like my HDDVD player.......
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

The replacement has been out in Japan since last fall. Not sure why it hasn't made it here yet. The main difference that I can tell is that it has the LED light source in the lid of the scanner versus the fluorescent tube arrangement of the v750. You can see the information on Epson's Japanese site.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com

Doug

Thanks for that reference. I found it on the (a) 3rd line in the GT-X770 page and (2) the last page of the GX-series PDF. Is there any other source? It seems the LEDs are only on a machine that is not capable of scanning larger than two parallel 2-1/4 strips of film. Is that your finding?

I have a Canon LED flatbed (N656U from 2000) that I use as a portable because it is USB powered and fits in a briefcase. I know LEDs have evolved, but even photographic LEDs being sold today are still not accepted as a good light source. The LEDs on that flatbed leave much to be desired as a light source. Do you read Japanese well enough to determine if Epson is claiming a smooth spectral response for their LEDs?

The GT-X770 is clearly not a portable; it doesn't look as if it would fit in a briefcase. This suggest Epson intends it for everyday use on the desktop, and this suggests, they have found a way to output acceptable color.

Tim Vitale
    510-594-8277

Quote Originally Posted by tjvitale View Post
    The GT-X770 is clearly not a portable; it doesn't look as if it would fit in a briefcase. This suggest Epson intends it for everyday use on the desktop, and this suggests, they have found a way to output acceptable color.
    From a quick search, the GT-X770 appears to be the Japanese "name" for the V500, which only does up to medium format.

I have the V500 with LED light source

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    From a quick search, the GT-X770 appears to be the Japanese "name" for the V500, which only does up to medium format.
    And I like how it works so far. Only medium format however. Just started using it... it was on special at Best Buy for $200. I also downloaded the SilverFast which drives this scanner (trial basis). Impressive.

I just checked and it's also 199 after rebate on the Epson site.

Deciphering the Japanese website, even with a partial translation, provides only fragmetary information. But the light source does seem to be florescent. I couldn't figure out, however, the maximum optical resolution for 4 x 5 scans.

Agreed with Joanna, GT-X770(LED) is known as V500 here. From the price and appearance, i think it will be a replacement for Perfection 4490 instead of V700 or V750.

As for GT-X970(Florescent), it is the japanese version of V750 as they have the same specification and feature. (GT-X970 is a replacement for GT-X900, which is known as V700).

From these information, maybe we can say that V700/V750 will not have a replacement so soon. (^^)
    Last edited by kanni; 17-Apr-2008 at 04:06. Reason: for clear explanation