Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Schneider lens with Linhof logo

Re: Schneider lens with Linhof logo

Is there a list what lenses were used for Technika, therefore marked 'Linhof'?

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    Is there a list what lenses were used for Technika, therefore marked 'Linhof'?
    All LF-lenses from Nikon, Schneider, Rodenstock and Voigtländer where sold by Linhof and marked after testing.

I was rather curious what models were used with Technika, not which samples. I was surprised to see for example Symmar 300mm with such a mark.

Also the lenses sold with Kardan-Color cameras are marked "Technika". In the list of 1968 the longest lens is a Repro-Claron 1:9/610mm.

BTW the Symmar 300mm can be used with the Technika V 4x5" and the Symmar 1:5,6/360mm with the Technika V 5x7". Also the Repro-Claron 1:9/420mm and the Tele-Xenar 1:5,5/500mm.

Bob Beresford is right about the de-lamination problem with some older Rodenstok lenses, particularly the Sironars, but I have heard of it happening with Grandagons too. There is a slight sign of it starting in my oldest Sironar, but my newer Sironar N and Grandagon N are fine.

I've never heard of a similar problem with Schneider lenses.

Ian
    Last edited by IanG; 26-May-2008 at 06:13. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    I was rather curious what models were used with Technika, not which samples. I was surprised to see for example Symmar 300mm with such a mark.
    Why? Over the years the Technika was offered in 2x3cm, 4x5", 5x7" and there was even an 8x10" Technika.

In addition Linhof Kardan cameras could use long lenses as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Why? Over the years the Technika was offered in 2x3cm, 4x5", 5x7" and there was even an 8x10" Technika.
    It was a Technika 18x24 cm and used special double film-holders. This holders were much smaller as modern 8x10" filmholders.

At this time Linhof offered also lenses from Steinheil and Meyer but without the "Technika" sign. My Technika II 18x24 was equipped with a Coronar 1:4.5/300mm from Friedrich Munich.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Bob Beresford is right about the de-lamination problem with some older Rodenstok lenses, particularly the Sironars, but I have heard of it happening with Grandagons too. There is a slight sign of it starting in my oldest Sironar, but my newer Sironar N and Grandagon N are fine.

I've never heard of a similar problem with Schneider lenses.

Ian
    Good comment Ian..........am amazed Bob S hasn't encountered this. Well known even in New Zealand. Rodenstock must have got their resins wrong, but probably corrected themselves before the Multi Coated ( Sironar/Grand ) N lenses happened. However, you can usually work around it because it creeps from the edges ( my big Sironar 360 5.6 is quite a sight with rainbow delaminations ) but in LF we're normally going straight through the centre of the lens at smaller apertures. So why worry ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    All LF-lenses from Nikon, Schneider, Rodenstock and Voigtländer where sold by Linhof and marked after testing.
    Hi Peter

There has been much debate here about the merits of the Linhof testing of lenses. Do you know for sure ....being closer to the factory ? My understanding ( and an old Linhof brochure actually says this ) is that Linhof set higher tolerances and would therefore reject some lenses before doing the mark/badge. That's my instinctive feel about it, too. I don't believe they would just be repeating the same tests that reputable firms like Schneider and Rodenstock were doing first.

As Bob also in other threads mentioned before Linhof uses a testing projector made by Rodenstock. I don't know Schneider uses the same test. But every test has it's limits. So one can see different lens faults with different testing tools.