Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paterson Orbital processor vs Combi.....

Paterson Orbital processor vs Combi.....

Still looking at tanks and ran across the Paterson. Anyone have experience w/ it? Cannot be used w inversion, but it can be used w 4x5,5x7 and even 8x10. They only seem to exist used in the UK. Is this tank a better bet than the Combi if want to step up in format later on? will I lose any functionality by not using the combi? Going rate for these?

Re: Paterson Orbital processor vs Combi.....

The Paterson is basically a daylight tray processor, that rocks on a motorised base. The Combi is a basic tank system. Either will process b/w film acceptably.

Jobo Expert drums are a better system, but the tanks are more expensive.

I'll look into the Jobos as well. Thank you.

wow.....$300.00 for a tank....I thought $80 for a combi was bad...they better be pretty good for that price....I assume the lift is not needed for manual processing? Is the foot pump accessory essential?

My paterson cost £15 NOS, I think I was lucky.

Mine has a little pivot base, no motor or anything like the Jobo drums (that can be used with or without motor bases).

I much prefer the Paterson to Combi's for a few reasons:
    If I'm shooting less than 6 sheets it's convenient - up to 4.
    MUCH easier to load (lift off the top, lay the film emulsion-up, done)
    MUCH less chemicals (I use 300ml, but I think something like 150ml or less will do VS 1.2 litres)
    Fewer parts to go wrong (a lid with a light trap VS a holder, a retainer clip, a lid, funnel, two tiny little caps to stop water flow)
    Chemicals take a matter of seconds to pour in and out (combi can take up to a minute to fill and pour out.
    VERY quick to dry, since it's flat surfaces (you can even wipe it down quick, for faster turnaround)

I really do enjoy using my paterson. I dev'd a load of film at college and had a nightmare with the Combi because I'm using changing bags. I got home and loaded and dev'd 2 extra negs with the paterson in the time it took me to load the Combi at college.

Things would be different if I had a changing tent or a pitch black room to load the Combi, but I don't.

Hope that helps!

So Ash...you're telling me that the Paterson is easier to load in a changing bag as well as the other features you've mentioned? By the by...how's your Razzle doing? Have you shot much with it?

Yep Steve it's much much easier.

In a small changing bag you can load film. Below are photo's of the tank on top of a small changing bag, I HAVE loaded film successfully in that little bugger. I'd not recommend it though, it's very cramped but entirely possible.

That changing bag is 16 inch square
    The tank is 11.5 x 9.5 inch, I forgot to measure depth, probably about 4inch plus the funnel of about 2 inches.

Here you can see the 4 red tabs, these are invaluable - DON'T lose them. I lost mine for a short period and when I decided to print more than one neg at a time, I tore up my room to find where they went. You can see also that I've scuffed the bottom of the tray to roughen it - this avoids the neg adhering to the very smooth base.

As you can see, slip the negs in each side corner, there is movement space, and if you fill too high or agitate too heavily the negs can slip out of place. I've not experienced this when using minimal developer solution, but when overfilling water-stop and fix I had my negs lift. Of course when you're fixing you can open the top and replace the negs and carry on as ever.

Remove the tabs for 5x7 or 8x10. There's much less clearance with 8x10.

Combi's are ideal if you like them - you have even coverage on both sides, and all the negative is submerged when the tank is full. However, I hate how easy it is to slip two negs in the same slot, or else place them all correctly in each slot, then place on the saw-tooth retaining clip and cause the negs to slip in-between the wrong tooth.

Oh and the Razzle is fine thanks, I'll have some prints being exhibited as part of my course later in the month. It's a group exhibition, but at least I'll have four 12x16's on public display - the only person in the class to submit images printed traditionally.

Film and Darkroom User

I have tried several tanks, including the combi, and much prefer the Paterson Orbital, which I use on the motor base.

Oh dear, I think I just caused the price of Patersons to sky-rocket! I hope I can still get a spare couple on the cheap. I was VERY lucky to get mine brand new in box for the price I did.