Thread: Best wide wide for multi formats up to 8X10?

Thumbs up Best wide wide for multi formats up to 8X10?

I will be shooting "primarily" 5X8 as my color transparency film. I would also like to do some color work with 4X9.5/10 and 6X9.5/10. I may well stick with 5X8 and maybe 4X9.5 as my primary use of color. It will all be done on an 8X10 camera that will use longer lenses for the primary use of my work that will include the above format sizes up to 8X10.

What I am looking for is a wide wide angle lens to cover the color work of my outfit. I have seen posts of people using the 90XL WITH movements on a 6X10 Wisner. I know the 90XL will work fine on the 5X8 and 4X9.5/10 sheet as well.

1) Does it make any logical sense to use the 90XL for the above formats, or should I be looking into the 110XL/120SW as my lenses of choice for the formats?

2) I know that using a center filter can actually cause issues when you are right at the borderline of coverage with a format. At what format sizes above, would the 90XL require a center filter for my color work?

3) Does it make better sense to sacrifice the focal length and move to a 110XL or Nikkor 120SW?

4) If using the 110/120, would I still need a CF when shooting the smaller sizes and color film?

5) I have heard Schneider actually says not to use their 3B filter for the 110XL due to the thinness of the filter required. I have read many places where the 110XL would be better suited with a Heliopan CF since they are thinner.

6) Last question...does it make much sense to even shoot color work with the 6X10 format vs. the 5X8 format?

A ton of questions. To have some questions answered or all at once is a-ok.

Thanks Everyone for your contributions and help with me finding the wide wide that will suit me best!

Re: Best wide wide for multi formats up to 8X10?

See:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hp/t-1521.html

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=11661

It also appears that you already own a 120 SW, if I'm reading the threads correctly. So why would you need to acquire a different lens before you try out the 120 SW?

Thumbs up Re: Best wide wide for multi formats up to 8X10?

Quote Originally Posted by John O'Connell View Post
    See:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hp/t-1521.html

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=11661

It also appears that you already own a 120 SW, if I'm reading the threads correctly. So why would you need to acquire a different lens before you try out the 120 SW?
    Thank you for these links. I appreciate it. I have seen images from a 72XL on 4X10 that look quite stunning.

I'd forget about someone else's images you have seen using X focal lengh on X format. Instead, get out and shoot and find out what works with your vision. Hoping someone else's vision and their tools to meet that are going to work for you is a bit of a shot in the dark (within reason).

Quote Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post
    I have heard Schneider actually says not to use their 3B filter for the 110XL due to the thinness of the filter required. I have read many places where the 110XL would be better suited with a Heliopan CF since they are thinner.
    Don't know where you heard that - it would be the first time I've ever heard it. In every bit of Schneider literature I have, the IIIB is the recommended CF for the 110mmXL. Where did you source that info?

Mike,

Time to go shoot film . I can probably get off at least an exposure, maybe more, for every long post you make. Many of us have said it to you before .... no bad intentions here, just trying to push you out the door. You've already collected all the objective information. The rest. no matter who it comes from, means very little until you have shot at least several hundred sheets of film. How many sheets have you exposed?

Thumbs up Re: Best wide wide for multi formats up to 8X10?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Mike,

Time to go shoot film . I can probably get off at least an exposure, maybe more, for every long post you make. Many of us have said it to you before .... no bad intentions here, just trying to push you out the door. You've already collected all the objective information. The rest. no matter who it comes from, means very little until you have shot at least several hundred sheets of film. How many sheets have you exposed?
    Hehehehehe

Bellows and some holders for my reduction back arrive in a week, and then the project begins. Will need a larger Arca rail to accomodate the 8X10, but will otherwise having a working Arca-conversion that I will name when it is finished.

Sincerest,

Mike

P.S. Anyone know where I can find some 8X10 Mido holders or some 6X10 holders?