Thread: Newbee CS3 ???

Newbee CS3 ???

I just started working in CS3, and I ran into a problem last night I couldn't figure out.

If I use the lasso tool to select an area of the image, then create a new layer via cut, I end up with a jagged black line in the background layer from my selection set. I have done this in my older ps7 to remove an area from a filter action like wind or blur, and never noticed this black outline around my selection area.

How can I get rid of that outline, or am I going about this all wrong to start with??

Any help is appreciated

Kevin

I've attached a file I was working with in my old ps7 to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do.

Re: Newbee CS3 ???

I'm not exactly certain if this will solve your problem, but chances are the black line is result of a couple of things.
    1. Your background color swatch is set to black. and
    2. You might have a feather in the lasso selection tool. However, this usually give a more soft edged line.
    You can get around this by doing a copy to new layer instead. I opened the file you attached in CS3 and tried to reproduce the results you mentioned, but I couldn't get any kind of line, jagged or not, with the feather of the lasso tool set to 0 (zero).

The options for all of the tools are now up at the top of the screen just below the application menu bar. The feather amounts are set for each tool. So the lasso tool will have a different setting than say the marque tool.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by trink408 View Post
    I just started working in CS3, and I ran into a problem last night I couldn't figure out.

If I use the lasso tool to select an area of the image, then create a new layer via cut, I end up with a jagged black line in the background layer from my selection set. I have done this in my older ps7 to remove an area from a filter action like wind or blur, and never noticed this black outline around my selection area.

How can I get rid of that outline, or am I going about this all wrong to start with??

Any help is appreciated

Kevin

I've attached a file I was working with in my old ps7 to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do.

It's often better to use layer via Copy, instead of layer via Cut.

That way, you still have something original to go back to - and you can blend the new layer over the original if you like. In other words, you have more options available.

Thanks guys.

I wasn't sure if that was the best way to do it or not, just a way I found to accomplish what I was after in PS7. I wanted to keep the tree/rock sharp, and apply a filter to the rest of the background.

I will have to try all the ideas mentioned here to see what works best...

Because you have a monster task in selecting the tree (to keep the tree/rock sharp, and apply a filter to the rest of the background), try using the Quick Selection tool with your image enlarged a lot (200%, 300%, or so). It's in the same place as your Magic Wand tool, just hold down your mouse over the Magic Wand until the QS tool pops up. The above suggeston to "copy" vs. "cut" is a wise one.

The QS tool really lives up to its name and you can quickly fine tune your selection afterward. Great for speeding up complex selections!

Quote Originally Posted by trink408 View Post
    Thanks guys.

I wasn't sure if that was the best way to do it or not, just a way I found to accomplish what I was after in PS7. I wanted to keep the tree/rock sharp, and apply a filter to the rest of the background.

I will have to try all the ideas mentioned here to see what works best...
    Why don't you make a copy of the background layer. Apply the filter to the copy, add a quick mask, fill it in black, and then paint with white on the mask at a low opacity to build up the affect of the filter where you want it? This is a lot easier for me than selecting areas.