Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I loathe Kodak Tech Pan film......

Why I loathe Kodak Tech Pan film......

Cows, Truckee River

70mm TP shot in Kodak Folding Brownie #2. Rodinal 5:850 5.5 minutes, JOBO tank, slowest speed.

No surprise here, I've never gotten a decent image on Kodak Technical Pan in my life, and I consider myself fairly adept at this stuff.

Arrgggghhhhhhhhhh. No it's not an image that would have made my name a household word, but still, I took the time to make it.

Re: Why I loathe Kodak Tech Pan film......

[QUOTE=Jim Galli

70mm TP shot in Kodak Folding Brownie #2. Rodinal 5:850 5.5 minutes, JOBO tank, slowest speed.

No surprise here, I've never gotten a decent image on Kodak Technical Pan in my life, and I consider myself fairly adept at this stuff.

Arrgggghhhhhhhhhh. No it's not an image that would have made my name a household word, but still, I took the time to make it.[/QUOTE]

Why in the world would you shoot TP in a Kodak Folding Brownie #2? That old camera is probably not capable of capturing all the detail that you can get from an ASA 400 film,much less a super high resolution film like Tech Pan.

In any event, looks like the trouble here is fogging from the camera, right? I don't think you can put that on Tech Pan.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Why in the world would you shoot TP in a Kodak Folding Brownie #2? That old camera is probably not capable of capturing all the detail that you can get from an ASA 400 film,much less a super high resolution film like Tech Pan.

In any event, looks like the trouble here is fogging from the camera, right? I don't think you can put that on Tech Pan.

Sandy King
    LOL, it's slow and I had some. No, all the uneven development around the sprocket holes is regulation tech pan. But I wouldn't put my life in jeopardy vouching for the camera either.

I've exposed many rolls of Technical Pan 70mm, not with a Kodak Fogging Brownie but with Hasselblad and Linhof cameras. As ISO 50/18° exposed and developed in HC-110 dilution F 6 min at 68° F the extended red sensibilisation made nice skin tones and of course a high resolution. So I miss this great material.

So you're saying the trouble is that my Kodak is old and fogged up? I'll put some in an RH50 and shoot it carefully to see if I see any fogging difference.

You also need to agitate quite vigorously....from Kodak pub p-255 (emphasis mine):

1. Fill the tank with developer adjusted to one of the temperatures in the table.
    2. In total darkness, drop the loaded reels into the tank of solution and attach the top to the tank.
    3. Firmly tap the bottom of the tank on the top of the work surface to dislodge any air bubbles. (You can then turn on the room lights.)
    4. Provide immediate agitation by shaking the tank vigorously up and down 10 to 12 times for 2 seconds.

Do not rotate the tank.

In other words, agitate the crap out of it.

True Ken,

I always treated it like a Martini to get decent results. Never had a problem with it in Technidol, D76, or HC110.

Darkcloth Fumbler

well as luck would have it, i just shot and developed my first roll of tech pan over the weekend. in a nikon N90s, shot at asa 50. i developed it in technidol (had some sealed packets someone gave me...not the same person who gave me some tech pan, but luck favors the unwary) and the negs came out really nicely! i've only done a contact-sheet scan on my epson 4990, but there's no fogging or anything like that, no sprocket marks. i didn't even do anything very different than normal: typical 30 sec agitation followed by 5 sec every 30. didn't shake it like a polaroid picture, just the normal inversion. i did however process it at 86° so that i wasn't sitting there for 15 minutes.

could your jobo and continuous agitation be an issue? if your test of the camera works out ok with different film, try processing the TP using a hand tank and see if there's a difference. just a wild hunch.
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.

I never shot Kodak Tech Pan, but I have seen similar patterns using rotary development (non-Jobo tanks on a Beseler base) with both 35mm and MF films. Also, what little I know about Rodinal, from many years ago when I used the stuff but also from recent experience, is that it doesn't like vigorous agitation, quite to the contrary. I've had pretty good results, I like to call them luck, with very gentle agitation regimen.

I'm talking about one slow inversion every 5 seconds throughout the first minute and then once on top of every minute with Rodinal 1:50 and half that for N- development.

What I am driving at is two possibilities - that your spool might be prone to turbulence and that the combination of film, developer and agitation method may be mutually incompatible. Why don't you try a) one roll of the same stuff in the same camera developed in same concentration Rodinal but with hand inversion, b) one roll
    of the same film in the same camera with the same agitation but with different developer and c) all of the above but with different film?

TechPan is amazing!