Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should this be my "learner"???

Should this be my "learner"???

Ok.....I've held the temptation to call Badger Graphic w/ cc# and going wild. Been scouring the used listings. Today I found the following: Calumet 400 series, 4x5, Caltar II E 150mm ($450 new at Calumt), Film holders, 4X5 daylight developing tank $450.00.
    I understand the camera itself is worth no more than $125.00. A new combi and is *80.00 The lens is all the value in this purchase. Any opinions or caveats? I can try to bargain I suppose and save maybe $100 or so? What do you all think?
    Last edited by BigSteveG; 10-Mar-2008 at 14:32. Reason: mis-spell

Re: Should this be my "learner"???

is the 400 a field or rail camera? The caltar seems to perform fine according to Flickr postings....

I've got the WA version of that camera and love it. I use it at least as often as my Cambo SCX and in some situations prefer it to my Zone VI. You just can't beat it up unless you hit the rail with a hammer or take a sharp knife or saw to the bellows. I've got a couple of Caltar lenses (not this one) that I swear by (not at). If the holders are new, they run about $15. each and still about $10 used in good shape. Can't see where the equipment will steer you wrong. You can even find the instruction book for the camera on line at www.cameraeccentric.com in their info section and you can print it off.

I betting you'll enjoy the daylights out of this one.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

You're a dangerous man Tim!!!

Steve,

Jeff at Badger Graphics is a good guy to deal with.

Likewise for Jim at Midwest Photo (www.mpex.com)

Neither of them will lead you down the garden path.

Jump in and have fun!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I do what I can!!!!

I'm still sure you'll love to play with this whole outfit. By the way. The regular 400 can work well with wide angle lenses if you find a recessed board. Those often appear on eBay. Even on my WA version I still use one with my 58mmXL when I need extreme flexibility in the movements.

You'll likely be able to use a standard board with up to about 90mm although that will make the bellows so tight, you won't be able to achieve much with the camera movements.

The 400 was the first view camera I ever bought, back eons ago when I was eighteen and I'm still enthused about it. It doesn't have all the features of a system camera like the Cambos and Sinars, but it sure can take on hell of an image if you use it right.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I've got a Cambo 4x5 SC with a Spring back, Graphlock back, 4 lensboards (one recessed), huge a$$ case, and a homemade short rail that I will be posting for sale. I'll be keeping the lenses though PM me if you are looking for something like a Cambo

The camera is a relatively heavy rail camera and the lens is a rebadged Rodenstock Geronar,a budget lens you can buy used in the 200-250 range so the kit is fairly priced more or less but no bargain.

3d Visual Effects artist

I second the Cambo SC suggestion! They are quite affordable, easy to find, and give you a taste of all the movements! Not friendly on wide angles unless you have a bag bellow, but on normal and long lenses, it's a great learner camera. Even if you are eventually wanting a folding camera, I can suggest the SC as it will give you a good taste for how movements work.

The kit you have found (though I don't know much about it) seems to sound like a decent starting price, especially since it includes a lens and some accesories (holders and such). This doesn't sound like a horrible deal for a starter.

I was fortunate enough to have a folding field camera loaned to me by a family member for my learner, but I also picked up an SC to experience more movements (which i have found, I rarely ever use!)
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

"The camera is a relatively heavy rail camera and the lens is a rebadged Rodenstock Geronar,a budget lens you can buy used in the 200-250 range so the kit is fairly priced more or less but no bargain"

Now I can bargain a bit. Thanks.