Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many holders do the 5X7 and up crew carry with them for a shoot?

Thumbs up How many holders do the 5X7 and up crew carry with them for a shoot?

I haven't seen this one posted and thought it would be an interesting one.

Sorry to leave out 45, but why not let 45 be part of the thread as well!

One thing that I start to think about is the larger format sizes and how holders become heavier and heavier with the next step up in format size. There's always this mentioning about say, light field 8X10 cameras from Toho/Phillips/Ritter/etc. So you have a 6-7lbs 8X10 camera, but when you factor in the weight of holders, larger lenses, etc. etc. is there much of a point in having that lightweight field cam anymore?

Not to get off-topic, but I'm curious about how many holders everyone around here takes with them in these situations:

1) Travel by car, get out and walk say, a mile max, but more like the usual scenario of seeing a nice view during your travels and taking a digital, I mean, LF snap.

2) Hiking for say, a 5-20 mile hike.

3) Travelling via airlines around your country (be it a trip from NY to CA and then using the cam for some hikes with friends from CA or simply out of car, or a variation...or be it a trip from Sweden to Italy, etc. etc.). Whatever it is where it involves travelling by plane from within your own country.

4) Travelling Worldwide, be it one continent to another or multiple continents.

I think I have them mostly covered, but if you can think of other situations, that would be great.

So the question is for the 5X7 and up crew, though I leave this available for the 45 only shooters to jump in with their own setups during the above 4 situations.

Re: How many holders do the 5X7 and up crew carry with them for a shoot?

Hi
    I Carry a Sinar Norma 5X7
    a 150 Apo and a 240 S symmar.
    6 holders (12shots)
    2 meters

I have only used the camera for one day outings on foot.
    I carry it in a Lowe Pro Rover AW. Its a very tight fit and the backpack will be replaced.
    Kind regards
    Søren

I carry a 5x7 nagaoka along with a 180 and 240 fujinon A in kelty backpack
    to keep the weight down usually I don't take with me more than three or four holders

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Gandolfi 7x5" Traditional, 90, 120, 165, 210 and 355mm lenses, light meter, tripod, five 5x7" and two 13x18cm holders. I carry two kinds of holders so that I can have B&W in the 5x7" and colour slides in the 13x18cm ones.

I usually also bring extra film and a changing bag. If I'm travelling by plane I'll bring more holders too - and probably more lenses (you never know what you're going to need).

If I am going out in the field (woods) for a day, I generally carry more holders as I like an assortment, b&w, color neg. & slide. You never know what you will find around the bend till you get there. Just started shooting 5x7 so that will add a couple of holders.
    PS I carry the film holder is a soft-side thermal (beer) cooler
    Last edited by Clay Turtle; 6-Mar-2008 at 04:25. Reason: PS

in my car. all the holders. 10-12 8x10 and up to 20-25 4x5 (2 graphmatics as well.)

hiking: graphmatic, 4 holders, changing bag and more film.

flying: 6-10 in 8x10 and 12 4x5 an the two graophmatics.

outside USA 4x5. 10 holders (did not own the graphmatics then)
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

My full setup weighs in around 55 lbs - includes pack, gitzo tripod, 8x10 deardorff, meter, 3 filters, 4 lenses - 6/10/14/18", darkcloth, loupe, and 12 holders. That is what I would travel with for any trip of 2 days or more. For short trips or hiking, I can get it down to just under 50lbs with all of the above, except only 4-6 holders.
    Tim

I have a mid-sized sports bag I bought at Target that holds 12 film holders and a light meter in the main compartment, two lenses in the two end compartments and filters in the front pouch. I can sling it over my shoulder and go. Usually only carry 8 thought because then I can fit the compendium in with the rails going over the top.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I shoot 5x7 location. I carry about 65-100 loaded holders in my vehicle, and take 2 to 4 holders with me if I walk some distance from the vehicle.

Hiking: 4-6 8x10 holders (no more than 6), Gowland View 8x10, 3.5 lenses on Sinar Boards (159mm, 355mm, 600/800mm tele), all in a Gregory int'l frame pack. For long hikes (3 miles+ to destination) I keep the camera unassembled in the pack.

Driving: 8 8x10 holders, rest is the same, but the camera remains assembled in the trunk.

Flying: never with LF.