Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decimated sheet film makers

Re: Decimated sheet film makers

IMHO you can't go wrong with TXP or FP-4+, though if you're bent on "slow" and "kodak" then you have a choice of TMX or.....TMX. I don't know how TMX compares with it's faster sister TMY, but TMY is really quite nice to work with. IIRC, John Sexton has written extensively on TMX and he certainly does fine work with it so you might want to check into what he advocates. If you really want slow, you might look into Efke 25 (the panchro, not the ortho version.)

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Fuji still makes Velvia ... enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by ditkoofseppala View Post
    As I said, I like SLOW emulsions, and they just aren't available any more from the remaining Big Two.
    Don't forget ND filters! I use them often with my lenses in barrel.

I know that Ilford's FP4 and HP5 make different negatives, but either can be slowed down.

Cheers, R

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Is Photograpy Formulary now out of business too?
    No.

The last time I checked the Formulary they didn't carry either of these developers, I'm pretty sure. I just checked again and they have started carrying ABC Pyro, and "Formulary 130" not sure if this is ansco 130 though.

Ilford Delta 100 is actually a very nice film - many find it preferable to TMAX 100

Quality control does seem a bit of a problem with some of the other films, but I've also had a lot of luck with Efke 100, but YMMV...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by ditkoofseppala View Post
    I note the "Arista EDU Ultra" films, priced about half what the others cost. Has anyone tried these, and if so, just HOW bad are they? And how about Adox, Efke, Foma and Bergger? As I said, I like SLOW emulsions, and they just aren't available any more from the remaining Big Two.
    My experience has been that the Arista films are not bad at all. And as others have said it is Fomapan. I just shot a few sheets of Efke 50 and found that I quite like the look (semi stand developed in Rodinal)

Adox/Efke (same film, different branding) 100 is a nice film, if you like the look of a traditional film. I've used quite a lot of it, and haven't had problems, but some people have had uneven coating problems with some boxes. It is a softer emulsion than what you'll get from Kodak or Ilford, so it requires more careful handling. If you want this kind of look, but want to play it safe, then go with Ilford FP4+.

Efke 25 and 50 have a different spectral sensitivity (closer to an ortho film, but not so close that you could process it with a red safelight), which isn't really to my taste, but some people like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Is Photograpy Formulary now out of business too?
    It's Photographers Formulary.
    juan

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

What is being described is a trend across all retail. If you look very carefully at stock in *any* retail store, you will see the stock is "wide but not deep".

by that I mean, you will find maybe 50 or 100 copies of the latest Stephen King novel, but very little outside of the "top 100" best sellers, however that list is gaged.

Large format is a specialty item, and you have to go to specilaty item suppliers. Period. Before anyone gets paranoid, try this list below for fun:
    - amateur astronomy & telescopes;
    - rock polishing;
    - diving (scuba & snorkeling);
    - quilting;
    - fine woodworking;
    - antique car restoration;

The list goes on and on and on. I am quite sure many of you can add more of your own. My point is this - how many supplies and raw materials for any of these activities can or do you find at your local Wal-Mart? I have a hellva a time trying to find blank glass slides for my microscope anymore.

The so called recession we are all hearing about has likely hit us 2 or 3 years ago, or more. In the past few years, stock at store shelves everywhere you go has shrunk in terms of width and overall variety. Anything out of the ordinary you have to special order in, or use a specialty store, usually on-line anymore. It's not just large format photography, far, far from it.

Two last thoughts. First, I bought new Nikon D40 DSLR. I tried several different outlet, and even at one point B&H was out of stock of both spare EL-9 batteries and the special AC adaptor for that camera.

So there you go - brand new state of the art digital SLR, and I cannot buy a spare battery for it, but I can buy sheet film. Film is dead eh? I call bull***t on that one.
    (Just for the record, batteries america had plenty of spare OEM batteries in stock for my camera)

Point two - the "big story" on the TV news last night, one i've been reading about a lot lately - the return of records - LPs and singles. In fact, the sales of singles in vinyl in the UK is predicted to surpass single CD sales next year. Not that single CDs ever sold much to begin with, but the point is, we all saw single sales off itunes surpassing single CDs, but who ever saw single vinyl records outselling the single CD?

I think we should have a new forum on this board - Doom & Gloom. Everybody who wants to rant and rave about the "death of film" can go there...and stay there.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Breitenstein View Post
    No.

The last time I checked the Formulary they didn't carry either of these developers, I'm pretty sure. I just checked again and they have started carrying ABC Pyro, and "Formulary 130" not sure if this is ansco 130 though.
    Formulary 130 is indeed Ansco 130. I've used it for seven or eight years now, and like it quite a bit.

--clyde