Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing bag size?

Changing bag size?

Hey, I need to buy a changing bag to load/unload 4x5 film that I will also use to roll/develop 120 film. I was wondering, how big is big enough? And what are good brands to use? I'm probably gonna pick one up with my next B and H order but Id rather not drop 60 bucks on one if a small or medium sized one will do.

Re: Changing bag size?

Scott,
    The use of a changing bag for 4x5 can cause a lot of problems with dust. Look for a Harrison tent or its equivalent--you can pick up a used one here from time to time--and save yourself a lot of hassles. They fold up nice and small and you can travel with them. Sets up on a card table, bed or motel desk. I have even read on this forum that people will set them up on the hood of their car in broad daylight when they need to.

Glenn Mellen

I'd second the Harrison tent... and a further suggestion if you should decide to get one... go for the "standard" size and not the pup version, even tho' the pup size is listed as being for 4x5. The extra space of the standard is well worth the extra expense.

The tent style is easier to use. I have the Photoflex, and while I'm sure it's not built as well as the Harrison, it is good enough and the price is very reasonable.

If you don't go for a tent, go for the largest changing bag. Yes dust is a problem but be careful and you'll be fine.

I find the bags a nightmare but a necessary evil... good luck!

By the by, small and medium bags are too small. The static makes the extra space too difficult to manage.

Ash

The reason you are fighting with static etc. is exactly why you want a tent - with a tent you don't have to be charging up your holders, film and darkslides with static every time ensuring that they attract every particle of dust within a 100 yards. You can probably pick up a Photoflex (Calumet brand them too) Changing Room for about $50 second hand. I actually prefer it to the Harrison tent for 4x5. It probably won't last as long, but they pop up instantly and a comfortable to work in - most importantly, the fabric doesn't get to touch everything inside.

So there is a lot of static electricity in a normal changing bag, but the harrison is exempt from this?

Quote Originally Posted by scott russell View Post
    So there is a lot of static electricity in a normal changing bag, but the harrison is exempt from this?
    With any of the tent style the holder is not brushing the walls accumulating static charge.

Couldn't you just make a small box frame out of plastic or something, and insert it into a $20 patterson bag and save 50$?

I have a redundant Photoflex pop up changing bag that I would part for for $50 + $5 shipping to CONUS. It is my second bag, its new and my bay id is eman37. PM me if interested