Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 film washer question

4x5 film washer question

Hello friends,

I process 4x5 B&W sheet film in a JOBO CPP-2 processor, but want to do the washi ng outside of the processor (It is tedious in the processor). I am looking for a good film washer and have seen ads for the Dunwright and Vogel 4x5 film prowash er. Has anyone used this washer? Do you recommend it? Do you recommend other was her brands? Thanks for you input!

Scott

4x5 film washer question

I don't understand how you could describe the CPP2 as tedious for washing film. Man, I can change rinse water in that baby in a country minute and it does not take many cycles to obtain a complete wash. Saves on water and it is much quicker and far more effective than I have found with other devices. Before I got the Jobo I used metal film holders and hung the film in a print washer. And the other film washers I have tried (the Zone VI) also require quite a bit of maintenance IMHO. I would recommend that you spend your money on images and extract your investment in the JOBO to its full extent.

4x5 film washer question

I use a gravity washer and it seems to work nicely but they are expensive.It automatically drains the water every few minutes fun to watch.-J

4x5 film washer question

Dedicated washers are nice, but don't necessarily do a better job of washing film.A simple piece of plastic tube (a 'biro' casing for instance) on the end of a length of rubber hose is all you need.1) Remove the lid of the Jobo and stand it upright in a sink.2) Stick the plastic tube down the centre of the Jobo reels with the rubber hose attached to your filtered water supply.3) Run the water at about half to one litre a minute.

Another cheap alternative is to get one of the simple syphon gizmos that stand in a normal sink outlet. I have a 'Photax' model that maintains about a 6" depth of water in the sink.Just remove your 2509 cut film adapters from the tank, and stand them in the sink with the syphon wash running.Either of these methods saves the hassle of manually changing the water, and lets you get on with something else while the film's washing.

Beverly Hills, California

4x5 film washer question

The Oriental sheet film washer (wall-mounted - works by siphon action) costs a total ~$90 with basket that hold 12 sheets (Washer ~60 and basket ~20, sold seperately). It's a treat to use it to add some automaticity to the end of a long manual process. You can wash your film while you clean up (and have a beer?). Andre

4x5 film washer question

I generally use a 5X7 rubber tank - the kind for dip and dunking film. I have a hose on the water supply that enters the tank at the bottom and over flows the top. Although I use a Unicolor roller and tank to process film, I put the film in metal film hangers to wash and to dry.

If I was concerned about that the 5X7 tank wouldn't provide enough flow through (which I'm not); I'd take a plastic detergent or other four liter container and I'd cut off the top and punch a bunch of holes in the bottom. I should still be able to hang the film and I'd get flow both over the top and through the bottom.

For 8X10 I just put an indivdual sheet in a wash tray (like a piece of paper) and use a gentle flow of water to wash the film. I don't see any particular reason to spend a lot of money on a wash "machine" when we all have stuff sitting around that will do the job.

4x5 film washer question

My inexpensive solution was to order just the sheet film basket for the oriental processor ($20) and then go get any plastic or rubbermade-type product which is deep enough. Stick a hose in it with the film basket on its side (so water circulates) and this seems to work very well.

William D. Lester

4x5 film washer question

I own one of the washers you are asking about. I think its great. I can't attest to the science of how clean the film is, but it's gotta be at least as good as a tray and Kodak tray syphon. It's a lot more convenient as well.

4x5 film washer question

I use and like the Gravity Works film washer but was able to buy it used at a camera show. It does a fine job and is also entertaining to watch, especially when washing Polaroid Type 55 negatives where you see the puplish processing goo float off the negatives.

4x5 film washer question

Yeah, I've got one of the Gravity Works washers too. I finally broke down and bought one a few years ago after using homemade washers, and I even got one of those film baskets they make too. These are kind of nice for washing off the rack. The thing I like about it is that in really insures a change of water, you don't have to stand there and monitor your film. I wish they made one for a 4-up size hanger though. I'd love to get rid of our quick-dump tank here at work. As to whether or not it's better than any of these other suggestions, I don't really think so. It works really well though.