Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuji Finescan 2750

Fuji Finescan 2750

Hello everyone!
    I am in dilemma: to buy a used Fuji Finescan 2750 or new Microtek ArtixScan M1 to scan my 4x5 transparencies. Any suggestions and recommendation will be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Fuji Finescan 2750

If the 2750 is in good working order and has all the accessories and software then it should definitely outperform the M1, it is an entirely different class of . However remember that you are dealing with a machine that sold new in the $10K range and parts and repairs will be proportionate to that original price. Finally it will depend on where you are located. Service for Fuji scanners is sparse in North America but excellent in the UK.

Agreed on the Fuji FineScan line being very good scanners. Just be aware that only Fuji software runs on these, so you absolutely must have that to use the scanner.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/...prodcat=233842

That link will lead you to Fuji scanner support in the US. Fujifilm Electronic Imaging used to be headquartered in the UK, and service was better their previously, though should be little to no trouble currently in the US. However, as Ted indicates, repairs can be expensive.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Gordon,

I was excited to see that there might be US support but when I follow your link I end with digital camera repair facilities. Do you know which of these also handle scanners?

Fujifilm and there website are definitely tough to navigate. They do have a separate Depot Repair in New Jersey that can handle parts or service for older Fuji scanners.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/...prodcat=233842

You can try extension 3041 instead, though I might be off on that. I have gone through their Cypress, California office, but without a service contract it would be difficult to get an older used machine serviced. Be prepared for some confused sounding Fuji people on the phone, because it seems they rarely get calls about these scanners. That can either mean they rarely break, or that they rarely have been sold.

The downside of all this is that these are heavy. Other than replacing lamps, any other service would mean shipping a nearly 150 pound machine to New Jersey.

True native resolution of 2743 with D-range 0.0 to 3.7, still quite good compared to more modern gear. If you found a FineScan 2750 near the price of a Screen or Creo, then I would suggest getting one of the other scanners. If you found a FineScan near the price of a used Heidelberg Topaz, then the Fuji might be a slightly better deal, if and only if the software is there, and all original equipment that it came with is still intact.

I have seen the newer Fuji Lanovia at a printing industry trade show, and it is quite a nice scanner. The price is definitely high. Don't know if I would choose one over a Creo or Screen, even if I had that sort of budget. Remember, these were never really intended for enthusiasts, and really are a step somewhat beyond the average working photographer.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Thanks a lot Ted and Gordon for your reply and information. Finally I decided to get Finescan and will be picking it up in about two weeks.

Hi,

if you think of buying a used Fuji Scanner .. take a look at the Fuji Lanovia as well, a superb machine ... and extremely well built.

Joerg

How did the Finescan work our for you? I have been watching several on EBay with what seems to be pretty good prices compared to the new price. I am having a hard time finding out of the Finescan has full transparency capabilities so I can scan in my old dry plate glass negatives. My glass negatives range from 2 x 3 to 8 x 10.

Does anyone have input or a suggestion for helping me with an appropriate scanner with full transparency? Regardless, I need a large scanner for several large antique (1875-1888) county map books. Even with 11 x 17 I will have to scan in sections and use Adobe Photoshop to put them back together.

It's frustrating trying to find a large format scanner for my large documents and antique photos that will also have a large transparency for my antique glass negatives.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks all...

If you are planning to buy used FineScan 2750 make sure it comes with software and dongle (it won’t work without dongle) The scanner is pretty bulky and a little bit noisy. Weight –114lbs, dimensions - 37.4 x 26 x 13.4, scanning area 18.5x13.8 it has XY technology and could locate the image on any part of the scanning bed like any other high-end flatbed scanner. The scanner comes with Fuji ColorKit software. One part of the software (Colorkit Manager) drives the scanner, another one (Colorkit Editor) allows you to edit scanned images and assign various ICC input and output profiles. Overall I’m happy with the result I’m getting from my negatives and transparencies.

Gordon, greetings!

Are you still employing your 2750 for your 4 X 5 or larger work flow?

I'm just about to make the install of a clean working unit. I'll be preferring the TWAIN firewire approach on a PC with Win XP...but I am open to trying the older ColorKit applications kit as well. I like the integrated and somewhat automated workflow approach (in theory) of the Colorkit...but I am not sure yet how it will look on-sceen as far as QUALITY visual orientaion when viewing for finer aesthetics.

Otherwise it'll be PhotoShop CS2 for now.