Thread: macbook, V750, epson scan, scan speed

Confidently Agnostic!

macbook, V750, epson scan, scan speed

I deleted my old question as I found the solution, but came up with a new one.

Colour management - what the hell is going on here? In photoshop, my sRGB files look more saturated than they do in firefox or safari. If I choose "Monitor RGB" and proof colours the look in photoshop exactly matches firefox, but if I turn off proof-colours everything looks much more saturated.

I would have though photoshop would be working in the same space as firefox/safari by default; sRGB, using my LCD monitor. Anybody have any tips? Should I just edit with "proof colours" for "Monitor RGB" turned on? Will this throw me way off for any future printing? I've not got profiles for any particular printer (I haven't been printing much colour lately, mostly traditional darkroom B&W).

Re: macbook, V750, epson scan, scan speed

It is not nomal to use sRGB whilst working on an image at all. Assuming you are scanning film, then the normal workflow is to:

1. scan with no profile
    2. bring the picture into Photoshop, either direct from the scanning software or as an unprofiled TIF.
    3. assign a profile that matches the scanner for the given film
    4. convert the profile to ProPhoto RGB
    5. edit the picture and save with the ProPhoto RGB profile embedded
    6. resize the picture for web use and convert the profile to sRGB
    7. save the web version as a JPEG file with the sRGB profile embedded.

See this link for a more comprehensive discussion http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/webphotos.html

For digital cameras, the image is usually saved with Adobe RGB (1998) embedded. In which case, follow the above steps from step 4.

Joanna's workflow is perfectly fine but not necessarily the only one available and, like everything else, a lot of he choices fall into the "it depends category" and are ot written in stone.

1. Whether you will achieve a better scan with or without an output profile depends on your scanner. If you do use an output profile then Adobe RGB (1998) is a good sandard bu tyou can also setup others.

2. ProPhoto has become a very popular profile in the past few years because it has a color space that is much wider than that of Adobe RGB. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it is going to do any more for you in terms of the 'look' of your final image; especilly true for black & white.

3. AFAIK, a lot of the lower to midd range digital cameras save with sRGB. Some of he higher end DSLR's (e.g. the Fuji Finepix S5) give you a choice of sRGB or Adobe RGB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    ProPhoto has become a very popular profile in the past few years because it has a color space that is much wider than that of Adobe RGB. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it is going to do any more for you in terms of the 'look' of your final image; especilly true for black & white.
    Thanks Ted for makng that difference; I would not use ProPhoto for B&W. At the moment I use Gray Gamma 2.2 but am open to suggestions as to a better option.

Walter,

Don't use sRGB.

You're getting info here that has value, but you need more to complete your workflow.

I suggest you go to -- http://www.digitaldog.net/ -- to get loads of correct information about how to set up your gear. If you will take the time to sift through what Andrew has to say you'll be miles ahead.

I would also suggest you do some reading and/or think about a workshop. One of the best books available today is Mastering Digital Color by David Saffir published by Thompson. David also offers workshops.

Also, Safari understands colour spaces / profiles, Firefox does not (unless you make a configuration setting change on some bleeding edge releases).