Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12x20 Arca Swiss ULF conversion

12x20 Arca Swiss ULF conversion

I have been thinking about building a ULF camera for sometime, but my 12 hour days as a basic cancer researcher kept me from investing much time into this. However, I took a vacation recently and here it is. A 12x20 camera converted from Arca Swiss parts. Basically, it uses the front and the rails of an Arca Swiss F basic connected to two parallel Arca rails by a 3/8x3x12 inch aluminum plate. The 12x20 camera back sits on the two rails via two Arca function carriers. To give enough front raise, I raised the front part of the camera by a 1.5 inch oak block and a 1/4 inch aluminum plate. In the final configuration, the lens will be centered relative to the 12x20 back. This camera weighs only 21 lbs and is as rigid as a Arca Swiss 4x5.I have no doubt hat this set up will support 20x24 if I want to go that size. It goes horizontal and vertical. The best thing is I can virtually use any format I want. All I needed is attach a dovetail under the camera back. This is a great feeling! Why? I can still use my Arca Swiss 4x5, Arca 8x10. The only other system that is so convertible is the Keith Canham cameras. But the Arca conversion has rear shift, tilt and swing, which few ULF has.

http://www.pbase.com/aria1117/ultra_...format_project

james

Richard M. Coda

Re: 12x20 Arca Swiss ULF conversion

I'm drooling... waiting for Keith to complete my 11x14 back for my Arca 8x10!
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

I think an Arca Swiss conversion make the most sense. I have checked many cameras, non are as good as Arca. One of the advantage is its 171mm frame, one of the largest. This would allow me to attach a 900mm f9 Zeiss lens to the front standard.

Quote Originally Posted by james zhou View Post
    I have been thinking about building a ULF camera for sometime, but my 12 hour days as a basic cancer researcher kept me from investing much time into this. However, I took a vacation recently and here it is. A 12x20 camera converted from Arca Swiss parts. Basically, it uses the front and the rails of an Arca Swiss F basic connected to two parallel Arca rails by a 3/8x3x12 inch aluminum plate. The 12x20 camera back sits on the two rails via two Arca function carriers. To give enough front raise, I raised the front part of the camera by a 1.5 inch oak block and a 1/4 inch aluminum plate. In the final configuration, the lens will be centered relative to the 12x20 back. This camera weighs only 21 lbs and is as rigid as a Arca Swiss 4x5.I have no doubt hat this set up will support 20x24 if I want to go that size. It goes horizontal and vertical. The best thing is I can virtually use any format I want. All I needed is attach a dovetail under the camera back. This is a great feeling! Why? I can still use my Arca Swiss 4x5, Arca 8x10. The only other system that is so convertible is the Keith Canham cameras. But the Arca conversion has rear shift, tilt and swing, which few ULF has.

http://www.pbase.com/aria1117/ultra_...format_project

james
    James,

Great concept, and so much flexibility in terms of back size. Look forward to seeing your work with this camera.

Weather there, on the other hand, would really turn me off. We are basking in 80+ F weather, and sunny, today here in South Carolina.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    James,

Great concept, and so much flexibility in terms of back size. Look forward to seeing your work with this camera.

Weather there, on the other hand, would really turn me off. We are basking in 80+ F weather, and sunny, today here in South Carolina.

Sandy King
    Sandy,

I felt like a freshman in a college with a new BMW: no excuses for not taking good pictures. I have got all the gears now for sure! On the other hand, I have no complains about Philly weather. I actually enjoy the snow once in a while .

James

Quote Originally Posted by james zhou View Post
    All I needed is attach a dovetail under the camera back.
    Hey James, nice work! Is the Arca dovetail 45 deg. or 60 deg.?
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

www.reallybigcameras.com

James,

Awesome! Nice to see another ULF ARCA-Swiss modder out there. You've probably seen photos of my 7x17 Franken-ARCA. I'm now working on a super-sized 14x17 version. The modular nature, great precision and over-engineering of the ARCA-SWISS cameras makes them the perfect platform for these types of DIY format conversion projects.

Kerry

James,

Awesome concept. SK Grimes is currently machining an aluminum format frame for my 14x20 Deardorff back. I plan on using a pre Monolith M-Line standard for supporting the frame. I wish I had thought of your concept. Spreading the support points for the back should add rigidity. How rigid is the camera?

Pete

Very cool indeed. That mounting block is brilliant. So you have a similar dovetail block on the short side of the back for switching to vertical orientation? What a great idea.

Very clever James! Show us more pics, I see you have two rails on the back, is this correct? I guess you are using a removable GG as well.... Looks like fun....start brushing up on your contact printing, you will love the big neg...