Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rodney Lough Jr.

Re: Rodney Lough Jr.

Rodney -

Are you back in your gallery next week? I work about a 3 minute drive from your gallery there, and would be glad to stop by and meet you in person.

I believe in giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Your work looks legit, and ultimately that's what matters.

Sheldon

jetcode

Hey Sheldon,

I think you are ready for pro website representation. Nice images.

Happy Valley Oregon (yes, it's a real place)

Quote Originally Posted by mike kwiatkowski View Post
    Hi Rodney,

It was nice to see your message on the forum. I am not able to spend much time here, but I did see your message today. The reason I am writing is because you said you would take some questions. Well, I do have some questions about the business side of things. The reason is I am beginning to put together some new marketing strategies and an updated plan of my own.
    I will do my best to try and answer your questions as best I can. If for some reason, I’ve missed answering anything; please bring it to my attention – I’ll get to it right away.

The marketing and positioning aspects seem very well thought out and well done on your website.
    This is from doing it for years, making every conceivable mistake one could make and by some miracle not loosing in the process. I call them business ‘death spasms’ and I do at least one a year. They’re the kind of mistakes that could send the company into a decaying orbit. I’ve been very lucky.

The fact that you are able to support four galleries is a testament to not just your photography but also the marketing strategies you have employed. Trust when I say I mean that as a compliment. I wonder how this began?
    Find a pillow to put in your chair and sit back, because this is a heck of a question and the answer is a bit lengthy.

I started out in the corporate environment, was good at it and they moved me up the ladder pretty fast. Before I knew it I was holding company bbq’s at our house, with more than just a few guests. I’d first picked up a camera at 12 and had always done it as a means to chronicle my hiking trips, it was my hobby – but more than that, I just loved it. So people, having just had a great steak off the bbq, would comment about the photography on the walls of our house “Where’d you buy those?” they’d ask….buy?! I’m Scottish, I’d made them; “I bet you could sell those”, was the typical retort. Well after hearing this a few thousand times it started to sink in. So, I put a portfolio together, took it to the photography gallery of Nick Zungoli in Sugar Loaf NY http://www.theexposuresgallery.com and asked him what he thought. He wanted to put the entire portfolio into his gallery during the Holiday season. I was ecstatic! It would be my first show. Everything sold. I was, and he was, amazed.

Long story short….I quit my corporate job. J

There are quite a few places to sell photographs- others galleries, businesses, individuals, etc. Where and how did you begin in this area? Did you use promotional materials (brochures, etc), go to individuals and businesses in person, or use another approach?
    Someone, one day, said to me – “you should try selling your work at that little art show down there in Boulder” So I applied and was accepted into the show. I sold one piece the entire weekend and cleared a whopping $300! Holy cow, $300….I’m on my way! lol

Here’s the moral of the story…..going to a local event, like an art festival can be a relatively quick and easy way to find out if you have something that others want. Because, as a business, it doesn’t matter if you like it (although it really does) but it’s just as important that others like it as well and are willing to part with their hard earned money for it. And just so we’re all clear, money IS hard earned.

It is however, like putting your (excuse my French) balls on a chopping block; because you’re going to find out very quickly if you’re any good or not.

So try a local event, see what happens.

Or if you live anywhere near Nicks place in Sugar Loaf, drag your portfolio up there. OK maybe not Nick’s place, but you get the concept right?

I want to be successful in selling my photography because I know the better I do at that aspect of it the more photography I can justify doing.
    As do we all….

My intent is to not just “get by” at it but I also don’t have a need to try and be famous/well known in any form. However, I do know that part of selling photographs seems to be selling the photographer a bit also. This is where some of my dilemma comes in. I have always arrived at the more humble side of things through what I have been taught and how I have felt. In some sense I have felt that if you are truly good/great at something you don’t have to tell people about it because they will know it by your actions
    You can build a better mouse trap, but…..if no one knows about it, how many will you sell.

If you’re lucky, work hard, have good work that (for whatever reason, others really like), then the one thing is a simple function of the other. What I mean by that is you gain the one thing, even though you’re not trying to, simply because of the success of the other.

and the quality of what you do. This however goes against the grain of a lot of marketing and reality when selling most products.
    I don’t know that I agree entirely with that. My goal from the beginning has always been a very simple one. Produce an end product that displays exactly what I saw when I was standing there. Produce it at the highest level I can (which admittedly works done years ago were no where near the level of today’s work; from a compositional to end product hanging on someone’s wall somewhere standpoint – IMHO things have gotten a lot better) and to be completely honest in my dealings with other folks.

You see, I do believe that there is an up and a down escalator and I hope to be on the one going up when it’s my turn.

What I’m trying to get across is that most people think that ‘marketing’ is about lying, and for a great many it is; but I don’t think it has to be that way. So I’ve tried to go out of my way to be as open and forthright as possible with those that I come in contact with. Does every one I come in contact with agree with me, or the way I think or act, of course not – nor will they. That’s what makes the world such a marvelous place to be, we’re not automitrons! (and I’m sure I butchered the spelling of that)

The most financially successful photographers also seem to do a fair amount of self-promotion/positioning in conjunction with displaying their images. Although I am not quite comfortable with this aspect, I understand that people buy more than “just photographs” and this aspect of marketing can be very helpful.
    This is just part of the gig….you can’t run away from it. But like a deer in the headlights, that doesn’t mean you have to stand in the road and get run over or run toward it either.

Would you have any advice on how to go about this (for me) more uncomfortable aspect of marketing?
    What is one man’s ‘full bloom’ is another man’s ‘sparse bloom.’ I’m not trying to dodge the question, but it is a call that only you can make.

So here’s my advice. Be yourself. Don’t let anyone tell you how you have to be and as long as you’re not hurting anyone (including yourself) F’m! (opps, more French)

I have a few other questions regarding the language of selling photographs, etc but I’ll leave it for another time. Continued success to you and your family.

Mike Kwiatkowski
    Mike – thanks for the questions. I’m not sure how many of them actually got answered…..so feel free to throw more my direction….we’ll keep going until we’ve got them answered. J

Until next time, take care & I’ll,

See Ya on the Trail!
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N View Post
    Rodney -

Are you back in your gallery next week? I work about a 3 minute drive from your gallery there, and would be glad to stop by and meet you in person.

I believe in giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Your work looks legit, and ultimately that's what matters.

Sheldon
    Sheldon,

You're more than welcome anytime, just give us a call first so we can vacuum. :-)

I am out this next week as we have a new release party scheduled at out Pier39 gallery in San Francisco. Then I leave to do two photography workshops in Page Arizona. When I return I have to finish up our next coffee table book, scheduled to print in China first part of April and then fly to China for the printing. Added to all that we are right in the middle of moving everything to our new 8,900 sq/ft studio over in Milwaukie.

So, if there's anyway you could wait for a couple months.....that would be awesome. and then you could come and see all the new stuff. :-)

Rodney

What? Only 8900 sq ft? Talk to us when you get a really big studio.

It's getting late so I'll say more tomorrow. BTW, what day is the party at the Pier? Looking forward to seeing you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Karnezis View Post
    What? Only 8900 sq ft? Talk to us when you get a really big studio.

It's getting late so I'll say more tomorrow. BTW, what day is the party at the Pier? Looking forward to seeing you.
    Hello My Friend!

Yep, 8,900 sq/ft. can you believe it! Here's the funny/sad part of the whole thing....it's barely big enough. :-)

I'll be at Pier39 Friday/Saturday/Sunday, but no one cares about that; however - the free food will show up around 4pm on Saturday. lol

Hope to see you there.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by rodney@theloughroad.com View Post
    Hello My Friend!

Yep, 8,900 sq/ft. can you believe it! Here's the funny/sad part of the whole thing....it's barely big enough. :-)

I'll be at Pier39 Friday/Saturday/Sunday, but no one cares about that; however - the free food will show up around 4pm on Saturday. lol

Hope to see you there.
    Why Milwaukee?
    How do feel about the mix of religion and business?

Rodney,

If you ever get to Hawaii, give me a call. I can show you some places you might like to shoot. I'm on Oahu.

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    Why Milwaukee?
    It's a very short commute from where we live. We got a great deal. It's a new building. And the county codes are easier on the wallet there.

How do feel about the mix of religion and business?
    Well that's a big question. :-)

Do you mean for me personally, or just in general? How about I answer for me.....I don't see a separation between them. Either you chose to live your life by a set of 'rules' or you don't. I, like many here likely, have changed throughout my life....sometimes for the good, sometimes maybe not. I am not the same person today, that I was when I was 14, and I'll probably not be the same guy I am today some 20 years from now.

I live my life by a simple set of basic rules. The same ones most of us were raised on.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Rodney,

If you ever get to Hawaii, give me a call. I can show you some places you might like to shoot. I'm on Oahu.
    Wow, I'd love to.

My wife and I took a cruise some 4 years ago to Hawaii, where I was told NOT to bring the 8x10. I'll never forget the look on her face at sunrise on the top of Haleakala, "Where's Your Camera!" I just gave her the stare.

I'm dying to come back there. When is the best time to come, btw?