Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rodney Lough Jr.

Happy Valley Oregon (yes, it's a real place)

Rodney Lough Jr.

Hello Everyone,

There has been quite a bit of talk recently about what I do, what I've said, and how I do what I do & amazingly why I do what I do, mostly from people who have no idea about any of these things. I'm here to set things straight on these points.

Feel free to ask me anything. Ask about photography, ask about locations, ask about business, ask ask ask - feel free.

So until next time, take care & I'll,

See Ya on the Trail!
    Rodney Lough Jr.

Re: Rodney Lough Jr.

Hi Rodney,

Welcome from Hawaii. Glad to see you join us; I enjoy your work and I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

HI Rodney -

Several of us LF photographers are getting together for dinner this evening in SE Portland. If you'd like to come, let me know. Send me an email at kirk@keyesphoto.com

Kirk

Hi Rodney, welcome.

Happy Valley = State College? I did my doctorate at Penn State.

Oh I just saw the post above and Oregon near your avatar; I guess there is another "Happy Valley" but that really is what State College, PA is called by most people.
    Last edited by keithwms; 5-Mar-2008 at 19:40. Reason: added PS

Hi Rodney,

It was nice to see your message on the forum. I am not able to spend much time here, but I did see your message today. The reason I am writing is because you said you would take some questions. Well, I do have some questions about the business side of things. The reason is I am beginning to put together some new marketing strategies and an updated plan of my own.
    The marketing and positioning aspects seem very well thought out and well done on your website. The fact that you are able to support four galleries is a testament to not just your photography but also the marketing strategies you have employed. Trust when I say I mean that as a compliment. I wonder how this began? There are quite a few places to sell photographs- others galleries, businesses, individuals, etc. Where and how did you begin in this area? Did you use promotional materials (brochures, etc), go to individuals and businesses in person, or use another approach?
    I want to be successful in selling my photography because I know the better I do at that aspect of it the more photography I can justify doing. My intent is to not just “get by” at it but I also don’t have a need to try and be famous/well known in any form. However, I do know that part of selling photographs seems to be selling the photographer a bit also. This is where some of my dilemma comes in. I have always arrived at the more humble side of things through what I have been taught and how I have felt. In some sense I have felt that if you are truly good/great at something you don’t have to tell people about it because they will know it by your actions and the quality of what you do. This however goes against the grain of a lot of marketing and reality when selling most products. The most financially successful photographers also seem to do a fair amount of self-promotion/positioning in conjunction with displaying their images. Although I am not quite comfortable with this aspect, I understand that people buy more than “just photographs” and this aspect of marketing can be very helpful. Would you have any advice on how to go about this (for me) more uncomfortable aspect of marketing?
    I have a few other questions regarding the language of selling photographs, etc but I’ll leave it for another time. Continued success to you and your family.

Mike Kwiatkowski

Rodney -

Glad to see you're here, as yourself, representing yourself.

IMHO, that's the best way to build your reputation. Show your work, be open, and be who you are.

Welcome!

Sheldon

I hate to reveal any photographer's marketing secrets, but a short primer is available at http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/s...d.php?t=112589

Hi Rodney, I don't hang out much here but welcome (I guess :-) I met and talked to you in Pittsburgh in 2003 which I believe may have been your last time here. I am now displaying at Three Rivers and I was flattered to have some people stop in my booth looking for you!!

Mike, I'll let Rodney answer your question in more detail if he desires, but I would say that his success is built by high quality nature photography and hard work. By spending years marketing his work on the art show circuit, where the quality stood out, he was able to build a large enough customer base and associated demand to be able to open galleries.

John Zinn
    http://www.enduringlightphotography.com

Sheldon N & BarryS,

I'm not exactly sure what you are suggesting, so I'm going to just 'ignore' those two posts for now. i've had 3rd degree burns before and it's not pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by J Zinn View Post
    Hi Rodney, I don't hang out much here but welcome (I guess :-) I met and talked to you in Pittsburgh in 2003 which I believe may have been your last time here. I am now displaying at Three Rivers and I was flattered to have some people stop in my booth looking for you!!

Mike, I'll let Rodney answer your question in more detail if he desires, but I would say that his success is built by high quality nature photography and hard work. By spending years marketing his work on the art show circuit, where the quality stood out, he was able to build a large enough customer base and associated demand to be able to open galleries.

John Zinn
    http://www.enduringlightphotography.com
    Hello John,

You are absolutely right, I started my photographic career by attending local juried art festivals - while living in Boulder Co. Based on that success I moved 'up', if one can say that, to larger regional venues and eventually to the national level. I kept winning awards and my collector base grew over time and now.... :-)

I will most definitely try to answer Mike's questions, but I'm likely to have to piece them out one at a time.

It's wonderful to hear that you are doing well in that market. I love that city, it's such a nice place and the people there were always a delight.

I'll never forget coming out of the Ft. Pitt tunnel for the first time seeing the city sky line lit up and the fountain going full blast in the park. It reminded me of Portland.

All my best to you there this year!