Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Shambroom's work at TED Conference

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Paul Shambroom's work at TED Conference

Claudio, I hadn't noticed that Martin was responding to you ... I read the thread in a hurry earlier. "Faint trace of irony" seems like a great description.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miller View Post
    The backgrounds are either desaturated or are faded photographic backdrops. The highly saturated figures stand out as cartoonish...
    ?? which pictures are you looking at? I couldn't find any against photographic backdrops?

In the ones I did see, the apparent saturation seems to come from having lit (?) the subject against a darkening (smoke) or darkening/dusk background.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    ?? which pictures are you looking at? I couldn't find any against photographic backdrops?

In the ones I did see, the apparent saturation seems to come from having lit (?) the subject against a darkening (smoke) or darkening/dusk background.
    Tim, I'm referring primarily to the single-individual portraits. It is very clear that the quality of light is different for the figure and its background. I don't know how he made his images, but their appearance could be effected by desaturating the backgrounds and warming the color balance in photoshop. I mentioned the possibility of photographic backdrops because these images strangely have the look of dioramas. Of course, it could also simply be a mismatch between the light quality of the backgrounds and that of the frontal flash, but there seems to me to be a mismatch in image quality at the grass line behind the yellow-suited individual, for instance, that first attracted my attention. In any event Shambroom is an an experienced photographer and I credit him with intentionality with his lighting effects. Whether intentional or not, this lighting gives an eerie quality of unreality to what otherwise might be taken as a strictly documentary image.