Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Four dollars a gallon.

Four dollars a gallon.

Photographer Ruth Bernhard had always stated that the best photographs were those taken thirty feet from your front door. Imogen Cunningham also did a lot of photography that was either close to home or ”In the neighborhood”. And Photographer Ansel Adams did a lot of traveling for his personal photography; Edward Weston did some limited traveling, when he had the funds. But he also had the best place to photograph, Point Lobos, Calif. To date, I believe many of us do a lot of driving and flying for our photography. This is part of being a photographer, I would suspect.
    I had just read that the forecast of gas prices might hit four dollars a gallon and I would like to hear from you if you plan to do any traveling? Do you plan to take fieldtrips, workshops, attend photography events or do you plan to stay close to home and plan day trips. If you are planning to travel. How? By car, plane or train. How far? Do you plan to stay closer to your home area or go out?
    When I photograph, I find that I usually work by myself. Not that I’m anti-social but photography is a private time for me. I like to look, see, study what I’m photographing and then take my time. A rush photograph looks just like that rushed. I never go with my wife or kids. They just don’t get it. “It’s hurry, hurry hurry. We want to go.”
    I do once in awhile go with other photographers because I also do enjoy the comradely of what we do. I don’t do much photography then and do more talking shop or listening to stories of my companions. Different aspect of photography but just as important to me.
    So, my next question to you is. Do you think with the coming price costs, do you see doing more carpooling?
    I would like to know what you have to say and share on this subject. I do see myself curtailing my outings to certain times, locations and destinations. What do plan to do?

Re: Four dollars a gallon.

you can't take pictures with a view camera while moving in a car, so i don't understand what the gas price has to do with it. it's more worthwhile to walk to distant lands and take pictures on a tripod. a lot less motion blur than from a car.

Well we are currently paying the equivalent of around $8.30/US Gallon here in the UK. There's a lot of folks here who would dream of $4/Gallon!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    So, my next question to you is. Do you think with the coming price costs, do you see doing more carpooling?
    I would like to know what you have to say and share on this subject. I do see myself curtailing my outings to certain times, locations and destinations. What do plan to do?
    Increase prices for my products and charge more for my services.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanPerkins View Post
    Well we are currently paying the equivalent of around $8.30/US Gallon here in the UK.
    Ya, but you don't use real cars. (Sorry could not help, it's obviously joke, this morning I watched few minutes of Mr. Bean and his three-wheeler)

I want to buy a mule.

Ya, but you don't use real cars.
    Actually you're not too far off the truth there - this is my little car, but of course I'd argue that all the other cars aren't real...

Doug Dolde

It's already $3.29 for a gallon of regular. $4.00 is another 20% or so. You make it sound like it's already cheap and going to be REALLY expensive.

americans can expect to pay $5/gal by xmas 2008.
    (that's my prediction)

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanPerkins View Post
    Actually you're not too far off the truth there - this is my little car, but of course I'd argue that all the other cars aren't real...
    I would love a Caterham 7, but in Canada it would be a complete waste of time and dangerous too ... oh for the country roads back in England ...

3d Visual Effects artist

the difference between $2 a gallon and $4 a gallon won't make much difference on relatively close locations (locations within a few hundred miles), being that most cars can get 300 miles to the tank, the difference of a few dollars per gallon on a tank or two isn't a deal breaker. Considering most of us spend several dollars per shot in film alone. I like to travel within a few hundred miles. I would travel more, but I don't usually get more than one day off at a time, so I'd rather spend my time hiking and photographing closer locations, than driving 500 miles. My mustang gets about 14mpg, but if I had the time I wouldn't hesitate to take a long trip. I'm fortunate enough to live next to mountains, deserts, oceans, and hills all within 100 miles or so. :-D
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com