Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Focusing Cloth

Grego

Focusing Cloth

Well, after swearing I'd never use one, I'm now looking for a focusing cloth for my Canham 4X5. Any suggestions from the ever helpful group?

Badger Graphic makes an interesting looking cloth that appears to fit around the back of your head and close at the bottom (optional), more like a sock. This is supposed to keep the cloth over your head on windy days.

I look forward to the input. Thanks Gents/ladies.
    Grego

Re: Focusing Cloth

I picked up a Delta Deluxe focusing cloth from Adorama when I purchased the LF setup. It's a back/white combo so it stays dark underneath and cool on top. It also has some velcro for those windy days. Pick one up!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I don't quite know how you've avoided them so far, Grego! I have one, a two-sided black-and-white with drapery weights all around the edges, that my Mom made for me about 25 years ago. It works good but I've been using my current favorite for about 5 years now - a "hunk" of dark velvet-like material I picked up for a couple of bucks in the discards bin of the local fabric store. Dark cloths don't have to be fancy or expensive to work well

p.s. Even in the So Cal summers I've never spent enough time under the dark velvet cloth to work up a sweat

I've got one of those 'tube types' that have an elastic band that keeps it tight around the camera and velcro strips that hold it together along the length. There's no name on it, but having used it, I'll never go back to a horse blanket. Except for 8x10. It's too small for my Toyo 810M.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Greg,

I think the version Michael is referring to comes from BZTS... I use one of those with my 4x5.

Calumet also has one that is white on one side and black on the other. It has a nice weight to it so that it doesn't blow away as easily as the lightweight versions.

Ebony also has one that's waterproof... it's quite expensive but, theoretically, beautiful to use.

Lots of choices out there.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Greg,

I think the version Michael is referring to comes from BZTS... I use one of those with my 4x5.Cheers
    BZTS? That would be the Beyond Zone The System hood? : - )

Seriously, I've used the BTZS hood available from The View Camera Store for many years now. Much lighter, compact, easier to carry and use IMHO than the standard horse blanket. I highly recommend it. Mine cost about $50 and I've had it for at least 10 years. There were some problems with an earlier version where the exterior material would flake off over time but that was fixed a long time ago.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have tried the BTZS, and many others, but now prefer the Blackjacket. See my lengthy review over on APUG if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    BZTS? That would be the Beyond Zone The System hood? : - )

Seriously, I've used the BTZS hood available from The View Camera Store for many years now. Much lighter, compact, easier to carry and use IMHO than the standard horse blanket. I highly recommend it. Mine cost about $50 and I've had it for at least 10 years. There were some problems with an earlier version where the exterior material would flake off over time but that was fixed a long time ago.
    Hi Brian,

Oops... quite right!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

When I looked to purchase my first focusing cloth, I found the comparative review in issue 1.3 of magnachrom helpful: http://magnachrom.com/Issues.php

I chose the hood/cloth from tedsphotogear.com and have been very happy with it so far. It's lightweight, and I'm able to leave it permanently attached to my Nagaoka 4x5 (no need to remove it in order to insert or take out the film holder).

-Vijay

Doug Dolde

I mostly use a reflex viewer on my Arca Swiss but sometimes use a black sweater with the neck hole around the back. Never found a dark cloth I liked.