Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Only lf stuff allowed in classifieds now ?

Re: Only lf stuff allowed in classifieds now ?

I certainly don't have an issue with LF or MF or... EVEN 35mm (limited) being offered for sale on this forum. As Kirk mentioned... some of us do have diverse interests.

However, given the nature of people who will push the boundaries as far as they can... I'm just waiting/expecting to see cell phones with built-in cameras offered for sale!

A policy should be decided on by QT and the moderators and, once implemented, that policy should be judiciously enforced. No exceptions!

Don, as far as "...moderators soft-selling their scanning services..." - scanning is a LF related activity and it shouldn't be lumped in with the "selling other than LF" gear discussion. IMHO, scanning services is/are definitely LF-related and if there is somebody here who can offer to do it (and do it extremely well...) then, why not? Otherwise, it goes out to another facility that doesn't contribute to the viability of this forum.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I could see people selling memory cards as being the wrong place for this forum, but I don't see what the issue is if people sell things of interest to the majority of LF photographers like a Mamiya 7 system or film equipment in general.

I agree with Merg Ross. I think a problem is how you define "large format." A few threads tried to answer that question and came up with less consensus than one might think.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=large+format

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    ...A policy should be decided on by QT and the moderators and, once implemented, that policy should be judiciously enforced. No exceptions!...
    From my perspective it seemed like an unknown member posted MF gear for sale with his first post. With recent report of deals gone wrong the powers at hand have decided to tighten things up. Don's MF gear ad was locked for the sake of consistency. I'm all for seeing MF FS ads but the line has to be drawn somewhere - if not it's just a matter of time before we see Nokian phones at "wholesale prices".

I've hardcoded a few pages years ago but that's my knowledge of html/css/etc. but there must be software or something built in to vbulletin that flags or exterminates based on keywords such as nokia, cameraphone, nigeria etc as they are posted in the classifieds say.

I'm not one for dumping more work on qt or the mods but I don't want this place to become TOO rigid such as some sites are wrestling with now. But agree, this is not the place to talk about chrome vs black M cameras
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

The moderators have been pretty good about catching the cellphone spammers as soon as they appear. If you see spam, you can report it by clicking on the red triangle with the black line on the left side of the post under the user's name and info, and the mods should receive an e-mail, so they can ban the spammer and delete the spam.

As for the policy, I don't think it has to be consistent in terms of universally allowing or forbidding non-LF ads. I think it's perfectly reasonable to delete non-LF ads from people who have no history on the forum, and to permit them for established LFF participants.

I would have missed getting a fairly rare black Leica M6 with 0.58 VF from a very reputable member were it not posted here (along with bits of LF kit). I have no problems with any analogue or digital associated equipment being listed on this forum by members in good standing. First time posters trying to off-load 20K worth of DSLR kit is another story.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

I think since the buy & sell forum was closed off to anyone not logged in, a lot of the past issues have been solved.

Another thing to look at might be restricting posting of buy & sell ads until you've been registered here for a minimum of 30 or 60 days. That too I think would address some issues.

As for more than LF, well in addition to my 4x5s, I have 4 Nikons, three of them film, one a digital SLR, one Mamyia and I am looking seriously at an underwater 35mm (I've discovered snorkeling). With my new digital SLR I am looking now at decent used Nikon lenses - my old non AI 105mm works wonderfully on my new D40!

So I would not mind seeing more than LF. Even before my new Nikon DSLR, I often took a digital camera with me when I backpacked with my 4x5. If I wasn't sure of a shot, I would shot it first with my digital, then figure out if I wanted to pull out the 4x5. So in my case, having an "alternative" format helps me with my LF.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Don, as far as "...moderators soft-selling their scanning services..." - scanning is a LF related activity and it shouldn't be lumped in with the "selling other than LF" gear discussion. IMHO, scanning services is/are definitely LF-related and if there is somebody here who can offer to do it (and do it extremely well...) then, why not? Otherwise, it goes out to another facility that doesn't contribute to the viability of this forum.
    Henry - I have no issue with scanning services being offered in the FS section - thats where it belongs. However, the "softselling" is going on outside of the FS section in regular postings - which is strictly prohibited (and in my opinion, should be). But, it's one of the moderators posting it, so it never seems to get picked up....

jetcode

this gets into advertising services, selling magazines and prints, which are reoccurring sales, while selling a lens or camera is a single occurrence between two parties.

there could be a commercial section where member advertisers place a single ad for their services and no dialog takes place