Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Whole-Plate For Supper! (my Ebony arrived)

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

A Whole-Plate For Supper! (my Ebony arrived)

Picked this up from Rob Skeoch just before supper the day before...Wow, this is one beautiful and high-functioning piece of equipment! I just wish that the temperature outside was above NUT FREEZING....I'm referring, of course, to the lock nuts on the camera!

The two digi-snaps below DO NOT in any way do this camera justice!

Michael Alpert

Re: A Whole-Plate For Supper! (my Ebony arrived)

Congratulations. Yes, beautiful and high functioning are the two operative terms for Ebony cameras.

That is a beautiful camera and you are a lucky guy!
    How has the film holder situation worked out - or has it yet?
    Robert Newcomb

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    I'm referring, of course, to the lock nuts on the camera!
    I'm glad you clarified that. I would think you would've had to sell any other kind of nuts just to afford the camera...

Gorgeous camera, but as a recent convert to LF I'm still curious about the decision to use the whole-plate format. I'm seriously considering an 8x10, and while a WP camera is obviously going to be smaller--the negatives are going to be too big for most enlargers and still on the small side for contact prints. Plus, the film is difficult to buy. I'd love to hear your reasons for buying a WP camera.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    Gorgeous camera, but as a recent convert to LF I'm still curious about the decision to use the whole-plate format. I'm seriously considering an 8x10, and while a WP camera is obviously going to be smaller--the negatives are going to be too big for most enlargers and still on the small side for contact prints. Plus, the film is difficult to buy. I'd love to hear your reasons for buying a WP camera.
    I am interested in how people are resolving the issues Barry is pointing out as well. As far as I know you have to purchase 8x10 film and make two cuts; to enlarge the WP neg. you still need an 8x10 enlarger; or is the point of WP to make contact prints only.
    Give it to me straight - I can take it.

Quote Originally Posted by rknewcomb View Post
    That is a beautiful camera and you are a lucky guy!
    How has the film holder situation worked out - or has it yet?
    Robert Newcomb
    I have 3 Lotus holders which are perfect (and stained to match the ebony) and I've ordered 4 more holders from Chamonix (due mid April) which apparently are also perfect AND 1/3 the price...I have not heard what the current situation with Fotoman is...

-Richard

Retired Pirate

Drool, slobber ...

Btw, what's the draw on this?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    Nice question Barry! OK, firstly,the Ebony because it is special and beautiful and I just reached a landmark birthday and convinced myself (and my better half and my kids) that I deserved it! As to why full-plate, that, I think, becomes a personal decision based on sensibility, desire for historical communion (with Daguerre, Ansel and many others) and other such intangible factors but usually accompanied with some sort of epiphany and feeling of exaltation. Well, you DID ask!!! Others in this forum with tongues more silver than mine may be better able to articulate this and already have to a degree in previous threads. But those are MY reasons. As to the tangible, whole-plate is totally available from Ilford at least and I expect will be until we or film dies. As far as being small for contact prints, I must say that a whole-plate contact in Pt/Pd overmatted with 8-ply 16x20 board DOES make a substantial impact. This format has the added virtue of being almost perfect for hand held viewing, etc. Take a look at other threads in this and other forums to get others' view-points as well! Hope that that explains at least a little of what may be seen as only sheer perversity! You may find this link interesting:

http://www.wholeplatecamera.com/

-Richard K.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I am interested in how people are resolving the issues Barry is pointing out as well. As far as I know you have to purchase 8x10 film and make two cuts; to enlarge the WP neg. you still need an 8x10 enlarger; or is the point of WP to make contact prints only.
    Give it to me straight - I can take it.
    OK here it is completely straight...film availability is and in all likelihood will continue to be no problem. As to the other questions raised by Barry, see my answer to him...

-Richard K.