Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wide angle camera

wide angle camera

Hi,
    I'm in need of a wide angle camera (4x5) that will except a 38mm lens to 90mm with movements. longer is ok. needs to be sturdy for use in studio and field. any suggestions and yes price is a concern and i do know you get what you pay for. i guess what i'm really asking is there a good buy out there to fill my needs. I've seen the ebony, shen hao, and walker. what about the cambo or maybe something else any feed back would be of great help.

thanks

Re: wide angle camera

Speed Graphic is cheap, they have a drop bed for 90mm at least.

thanks but i need something that will take a 38mm with movements also doesn't need to be cheap just reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjay View Post
    thanks but i need something that will take a 38mm with movements also doesn't need to be cheap just reasonable.
    you can buy any camera (like speed graphic) and remove the bellows, replacing it with those wide angle bags that can compress more.

You might want to look into Argentum:

http://www.argentumcamera.com/_angol...s/architec.htm

The Schneider 38mm needs 52.1mm flange to focal distance to focus at ∞ (infinity). The Argentum Architec will go as close as 45mm. This lens allows more movement on rollfilm backs and actually clips the corners of 4x5 film, in other words you only need a few millimetres of movement.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

One to consider would be the old wide angle Calumet C-400 or whatever its called. Its the metal rail that was passed down to calumet from Kodak. The design of the camera was to allow very short lenses without a recessed lensboard. My 65 S-A focuses on this camera with some separation between the standards. The 65 just doesn't allow any movements on 4X5.

i'm aware of the 38mm image circle i'll be using it with a stitched p45 back. so really looking at a 6x12 image size.

You're really going to be strapped finding something which can take such an extreme on 6x12cm if Fotoman Cameras don't appeal to you for the cost-benefit ratio.

The Silvestri cameras do all of that, but if you're asking how much much, then clearly you can't afford it, especially with the state of the American dollar at the moment.

A system of cones for different focal lengths is going to be cheaper than a body that can take 38mm - 90mm. It will also be more rigid. Btw - you do realise that it will be practically impossible to focus the 38mm on a standard ground glass on a 38mm-90mm rail system, as opposed to a fixed flange distance camera?

Okay, with that in mind, here is a manufacturer giving you several choices:

http://www.gottschalt.de/de/kameras_05.html

These are somewhat built to order. You might compare to a Silvestri. Of course, you could also look into Arca Swiss, or Linhof, depending upon budget.

The biggest trouble with using a wooden camera and a medium format digital back is slightly less precision in movements. Another option might be the new Fotoman Dmax for near $US 2700, somewhat comparable to the Horseman.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

oh I forgot to mention i'm in china and some url's are blocked here. anyways a rail camera would always be preferred perhaps the technikardan is the answer. i would need the movements and wouldn't be restricted to 6x12 also be using it for 6x9. this will be done in a commercial setting. how do you figure it would be impossible to focus? they still make tape measures don't they? also there is this really neat setting in capture one called live image.