Page 98 of 107 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    And if you hear strange grinding/binding type noises when the scanner moves the carriage, carefully clean the rails/linear motion parts, and put a tiny bit of light machine oil on the appropriate parts, but try Bryan's suggestion first!
    There were loud noises when I turned on the scanner again after having pulled it out of storage. I had to reset the steel bars that guide the sensor/lens unit. Will report back after I try Bryan's suggestion and also apply some lubricant.

Thanks again.

Good luck. I use simple sewing machine oil found at Walmart, which seems to work okay.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

If you already have WD 40 laying around, you can spray that into a jar and wait a couple of days for the crap to settle to the bottom. The nice clean machine oil will be on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go light on the oil! I used sewing machine oil. I put a drop on a cotton cloth and applied to the rails. I put a small drop in a couple of areas where the linear bearing's are, and on the shafts of some of the pulleys....but very little! It took a while, but eventually the louder noises went away.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hi All . . .
    Just like to say that some information is correct . . But some is incorrect.
    Definitely need a sturdy table to stand the scanner on . . (One that folds away is useless . . .!!)
    The machine stands on 3 feet . . .(Not 5!!) . .This gives the machine stability, even on a slightly uneven surface.
    SCREEN supplied 3 rubber feet for these feet. Later machines had special rubber feet with metal support.

If anyone has removed the rails, or had to re-position them, they will need a special 'Glass Jig' supplied by SCREEN to calibrate the whole system.
    (Same applies to any optics, mechanisms or sensors moved. )
    I tried to get one of these jigs from my Japanese SCREEN contact . . No luck . . :-(

If things are moved I would expect to see 'stitching' of image and focusing issues.

Hope this helps . . . BR, TC542

??

Both my machines have 4 feet, not 3. I thought they had 5 but I misremembered after the previous comment. I definitely had sag issues due to the table not handling the weight, way back when I got the scanner originally.

Currently, I use a very heavy, 6-person dining table for my scanner, which nicely fits the scanner with the "wing" sticking out to the left and a 24" monitor for the Mac along with keyboard/mouse to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    ??

Both my machines have 4 feet, not 3. I thought they had 5 but I misremembered after the previous comment. I definitely had sag issues due to the table not handling the weight, way back when I got the scanner originally.

Currently, I use a very heavy, 6-person dining table for my scanner, which nicely fits the scanner with the "wing" sticking out to the left and a 24" monitor for the Mac along with keyboard/mouse to the right.
    Hi . . .
    Here is a picture attached of the 3 feet that my FT-S5500 scanner sits on . . .
    Regards, TC542
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rubber feet (2).jpg  

Must be a change from the 5000 model. Both of mine have 4 circular feet.

My 5000 has 4 as well.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hi folks,

Quick question as I try and diagnose an issue with my 5000. I have been getting small artifacts running across the short side of the scanning bed. I have cleaned the machine, lubricated the rails, and done by best to assure the SCCI connections are good. The calibration strip is clean, however it does have small scratches on either end. Although its condition hasn't changed much since when I first came into possession of the scanner.
    The artifacts seem to appear no matter where on the bed I place the film.Tho it seems to be more pronounced near the center of the bed.

5000 dpi at the center of the bed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5000 dpi.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	208312

5000 dpi top left of bed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5000 dpi top left of bed.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	208313

A secondary issue I have noticed is the tray not returning to its default position. Instead coming about a quarter inch short of the right hand side of the scanners inside edge. I haven't yet found any info in the maintenance manuals I have but I will come back and update if I find anything. I was able to test the motors with the FT- Maintainer app, all test came back as OK. My install has one FT maintainer app and another Super maintainer app - which happens to be password protected..

Anybody got any ideas here?
    Last edited by FloydPhill; 5-Oct-2020 at 12:24. Reason: added some tests I did