Page 87 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Someone mentioned making a new calibration strip earlier in this thread. I have not done that.

This is an X/Y scanner. All that means is that you can place the film anywhere on the bed, and the lens/sensor will move to the proper position. This is different than, say, consumer scanners, where the sensor/lens are fixed, and the best resolution is down the middle of the platen, such as the Agfa T2500. Creo (and later Kodak) had a patent on stitching. The Cezanne can actually stitch lineart passes, but not regular film scans.

If you look at the Seybold report on scanners, they achieved about 5700 spi with a Cezanne. I also have tested mine with an Edmund's chrome on glass high resolution target, and my results are the same. The sensor limits resolution in the front to back direction, but it is the linear motion system which does so in the left to right direction.

Regarding profiling, I scan 99% bw. I did make profiles using Wolf Faust's IT8 targets and Lprof many years ago. They helped.

For scanning color negative film, this is what I'd do: I'd scan as a positive in 16 bit per channel mode. I'd move all of the listings from the Finish column. Left click on the them and drag them to the left column. When that's done, you will have a unmanipulated data as I know how to get from a Cezanne.
    For bw: scan as a positive in 16 bit per channel mode. Go into manual fine adjustment. Go to the sharping tab. Turn it off. Go back to the retouch color tab. Set the mins to 0 and the maxes to 255. Click on the enlarge tone curve button. Use the curve to invert the data. This is a pain, but don't worry, you'll only have to do this once, ever. You should have a readout that can take and store 8 readings (or so). I put a target on the film base, the lowest shadow, the brightest highlight and the most important tone, such as the face in a portrait. I adjust the HD and SD numbers to give me what I want, making sure not to clip data on either end, erring on the side of low contrast. Good? Name the file aaa_BW_Invert. Scan. Next time you want to scan bw, set the resolution and then load the setup from the aaa_BW_invert scan. Using aaa will mean it's the top setup in the list. All of your setups will be saved. Sharpening will be off, the invert curve with be there. Set your sample points, adjust your sd and hd values, and scan. Because the scanner is x/y, you can load the bed up with scans, setting all of them up at once, and go someplace and have a snack, or a nap, or a walk......

Dotfinder isn't useful in my experience for regular film.

I don't know about the Atto card. Screen lists the Adaptec card in their notes, and that's what I use.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

This has a diagram of the x/y movement https://www.screen.co.jp/ga_dtp/en/n...ewsbox_7_2.pdf

Hey, so, uhm...

I work at a design agency and we still have a cézanne FT-S5000 here, and we will move by the end of the month.
    I've searched this thread and found several posts, but they were mainly for the S5500.

What I need to do:
    - put the machine into transport mode
    - disassemble the top part where the scanner slides into so you can reach the metal grips on the bottom for transporting.

If we had a shipping plate, it is 100% lost by now. When I open the front cover, there is no shipping plate.
    It's connected to an old G4 running macos9.2 and ColorGenius if that helps anything.

Any help would be gladly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by nfin1te View Post
    Hey, so, uhm...

I work at a design agency and we still have a cézanne FT-S5000 here, and we will move by the end of the month.
    I've searched this thread and found several posts, but they were mainly for the S5500.

What I need to do:
    - put the machine into transport mode
    - disassemble the top part where the scanner slides into so you can reach the metal grips on the bottom for transporting.

If we had a shipping plate, it is 100% lost by now. When I open the front cover, there is no shipping plate.
    It's connected to an old G4 running macos9.2 and ColorGenius if that helps anything.

Any help would be gladly appreciated!
    Hi . . .
    Before you try to move the scanner you must put it into transport mode . . . !! . . The optics can easily get damaged/misaligned if you do not.
    Firstly, the transport bracket is normally fitted behind the front cover . . Secured by a big black securing knob. . .(Bracket is reversed to fit. . . .)
    To get the machine to 'Transport position' . . Press and hold the 'Overview' button on the front whilst turning on the power . . Keep it pressed until you hear a beep and the LEDs start rotating . . . . Now let go of the switch.
    When the 'Red' LED is 'On' . . Briefly press the 'Overview' switch again to start 'Initialisation' . . The scanner will initialise and then go to the transport position . . Where the transport plate can be fitted,in the non-reversed position, with the 'lugs/dowels' poking through 2 holes, and then secure it with the black knob.
    The side cover can then be removed by opening the upper Lamp Cover and removing another smaller black knob that secures the side cover . . A gentle movement . .sliding the cover forwards . . releases the cover from some location pins . .it can then be removed.
    Ensure you have at least 2 strapping young men to move the scanner . . . Preferably 4 persons . . !! . . (Just in case . . . ;-)

Please see attached doc for details of the transport bracket . . . (It locks the optics!! . . .)
    If you don't have it . . Then find some wooden dowel pins and fit them in the holes . . .!! . . Somehow . . . ;-)
    Regards, tc542
    PS . . Where are you based . . ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by TC542 View Post
    Hi . . .
    Before you try to move the scanner you must put it into transport mode . . . !! . . The optics can easily get damaged/misaligned if you do not.
    Firstly, the transport bracket is normally fitted behind the front cover . . Secured by a big black securing knob. . .(Bracket is reversed to fit. . . .)
    To get the machine to 'Transport position' . . Press and hold the 'Overview' button on the front whilst turning on the power . . Keep it pressed until you hear a beep and the LEDs start rotating . . . . Now let go of the switch.
    When the 'Red' LED is 'On' . . Briefly press the 'Overview' switch again to start 'Initialisation' . . The scanner will initialise and then go to the transport position . . Where the transport plate can be fitted,in the non-reversed position, with the 'lugs/dowels' poking through 2 holes, and then secure it with the black knob.
    The side cover can then be removed by opening the upper Lamp Cover and removing another smaller black knob that secures the side cover . . A gentle movement . .sliding the cover forwards . . releases the cover from some location pins . .it can then be removed.
    Ensure you have at least 2 strapping young men to move the scanner . . . Preferably 4 persons . . !! . . (Just in case . . . ;-)

Please see attached doc for details of the transport bracket . . . (It locks the optics!! . . .)
    If you don't have it . . Then find some wooden dowel pins and fit them in the holes . . .!! . . Somehow . . . ;-)
    Regards, tc542
    PS . . Where are you based . . ?
    Hey!

I can't believe how fast I got a reply on my questions, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

I think i was successful, take a look at the pictures attached: https://imgur.com/a/x8F29kQ

The problem was, i found the original Transport plate PDF, but it irritated me because the metal parts weren't the same as on the S5000 compared to the S5500. So I presumed it was missing. And that I had no idea how to remove the side cover.

We are based in Vienna, Austria. Why?

What would really be awesome is if you or anybody else could provide technical information on the S5000, like, how to clean it properly (tray and glass would need cleaning), what parts need to be maintained from time to time, intervalls, etc.
    I also read about the need to lubricate the tray belt f.e.
    Most of the links I have found in this thread are dead by now and I have only found the german ColorGenius Manual, nothing on the scanner itself.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Dear Peter,
    thank you for providing those - it is really unbelievably valuable that enthusiasts like you and TC542 provide pastEOL-support for these great devices - a big thank you for that, this is probably the only ressource for cézanne scanners left.

A bit more about the situation i found myself in:
    Im a prepress engineer in a design agency, i have had proper training on drum scanners back in school but never got to use drum scanners in a production environment because the time of drum scanning already was over. The first agency I started working at sold theirs a few months after I started.
    The current agency still has a Cézanne S5000 as stated and even a Screen DTS1045ai drum scanner (you should see the mac that comes with it, macos9 seems like a modern rocket ship in comparison) - and im responsible for both with little to no training from former collegues. I can operate both
    (a real operator would laugh at me probably), but its a bit hard for me as the last time I did some proper scanning was back in school. I know how to wet mount on the dts, but I have no idea about density values for different film types and stuff like that.
    So due to my lack of experience, i probably don't even know what questions to ask (yet). Do you have any additional documents that you think would be of use for a person like me? Im quite good with technology, that's why the boss thought it would be a good idea that i take care of the scanners, haha.

Oh and by the way, one thing that i noticed was that the G4 is not running the maintainance software for the cézanne, just colorgenius, so i don't have any possibility to switch it to transportmode via software, just on the scanner itself.
    Any ideas what i could do to get the software needed?

Another thing I'd like to do:
    Since there are no replacement parts anymore and the cézanne has 4 lamps, i would like to take out the 2 lamps used for negative scanning (we use the drum scanner for that) and store them as spare until the 2 lamps for positive scanning are broken. This should be possible, right? Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

EDIT:
    MOTHER OF GOD, i think i have found the holy grail:

https://imgur.com/a/OjN4ZvO

It's the complete package, nothing is missing.
    So that saves me from G4 failures at least, which is nice.
    I also love the text on the manual, made me laugh:

"Please give this manual to the operator of the FT-S5000.
    Do not operate or inspect the FT-S5000 until you have read this manual well and understood its contents.
    The administrators and operator of the FT-S5000 should not let enyone who does not understand the contents of this manual operate or inspect the FT-S5000.
    After reading this manual, keep it near the FT-S5000."

EDIT2: while digging through the manual i noticed that the cezanne is only standing on 3 of 5 rubber feet. The other ones are probably lost. How bad is that? Can i use something else as support?

EDIT3: I just hit another jackpot..... 1500$ worth of replacement lamps

https://imgur.com/a/XAblFtH
    Last edited by nfin1te; 17-Jan-2019 at 08:02.

Glad you found the manuals! Yes, you can use two bulbs in the scanner. Since I don't do reflective scans with it, I've taken those bulbs out. New bulbs are likely still available. Bryan bought some recently. Others have replaced the bulbs with other options. I'm eventfully going to do an LED conversion. What are you mainly going to be scanning: positives or negatives?

Hi . . . . The scanner does sit on 3 Feet only . . . There should be 'anti-vibration rubber spacers under the feet aswell.
    (If you don't have these you can use layers of rubber mouse mats . . . ;-)

In 'Manual' mode you can setup the machine as if you were working on old drum scanners . . .(Well SCREEN ones anyway . . .)
    HD/SD, HL/SD%, Sharpness, etc. etc. . . .

Maintenance Software . .'Maintainer' . . . is standard on all the CDROM's . . . Downloaded when you do an 'Easy' install.
    You can add an engineers version . . .'Super Maintainer' . . . by 'Custom' install mode from the CDROM . . . . .
    It can give you access to some very good status of lamps/optics information . .
    and gives a table that shows the 11 actual image resolutions . . without interpolation. . .
    (There is a password to access this . . But I will only pass it on if you don't blame me for any problems you cause . .!!!)

MacOS 9.2 is sometimes better to have, as some people try to upgrade to MacOS10.x before they have upgraded the relevant scanner driver firmware . . . This needs to be done using the MacOS9.2 beforehand . . . . !! (I have 3 Macs . . . . Keeping one as MacOS9.2 just in case . . . ;-)

I'll try and add more info as and when . . . .
    Regards, tc542
    Last edited by TC542; 19-Jan-2019 at 00:03. Reason: Update . .Clarification . .