Page 81 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Sorry, I've had a monstrous week but I'm finally able to reply. Thanks for your input! I always use the same film: Kodak Tri-X, pushed to 1600 and developed in HC-110. The grain is very familiar to me and is what I like.

As for scanning, I used to have super sharp results, but they're not anymore unless I scan at a lower resolution. This also applies to photos that I scanned before at 5300spi and now have to scan at 4000spi to get sharp results.

Furthermore, the examples I attached are from the same photo and scanned in the same session, only changing the scanning resolution, so I didn't change the selection area, I didn't move it and I kept the scanner lid closed.

And I may be nagging, but the difference in sharpness between the scans is very apparent in my opinion. I used to have much sharper results before so I don't understand why this is happening.

I can try wet-mounting, I have Mylar sheets and mounting liquid that I got with the scanner but haven't used that up to now because the results were so sharp already when I dry-mounted.

I read through your description again and I am wondering, how long was it between when you last used the scanner and now? It almost sounded to me like you might have had the scanner "stored" for a while, but maybe I am reading it wrong.

The first thing I would do is open up the scanner and thoroughly clean the mirror, lens, and maybe rails. I use Pec Pads and Eclipse fluid for that. As Peter mentioned, if the scanner is making bad noises while resetting from a scan you might also want to clean and lube the rails.

I notice in your examples above that the 'color' of the scan varies between resolutions. To me that also indicates bulb issues. I know you replaced the bulbs with the reflective ones but they were still "used" so perhaps they aren't fresh either and need replacing with brand-new bulbs?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I agree with Bryan. I suspect a bulb issue. Unfortunately, that's a pretty expensive thing to do, especially as there is no guarantee that it's the problem.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hi Bryan, Peter, thanks for replying so quickly! I am in contact with Screen here in the Netherlands and their distributor to order lamps.
    As you said, they're expensive but regardless of whether that's the issue I will need to replace them at some point. Unfortunately this will probably cost me about 400 dollar!
    But I'm suspecting the lamps as well. I also saw the difference in color.
    I have opened up the unit and cleaned the mirror and that did give an improvement, but that was prior to me reaching out on the forum. I also cleaned the scanning bed as well. So the scans you're seeing is with a cleaned mirror.

I don't know what bad noises would be. It doesn't sound different than when I just bought it but it does make sounds. I don't know whether it should be relatively quiet apart from the fan noise?
    I will call the distributor again tomorrow to see if they already have a quote for me.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

In post #793 there is a big difference between the two images, as if 5300 is out-of-focus. In #798 not so much.
    My guess is since @4000 it works and as it gets closer to make the 5300 scan, it is something to do with the rails on top of which the lens sits or the iris not allowing for perfect focus.
    Maybe the motor controlling the iris is not opening enough to allow for proper AF. Maybe there is something sticky upwards on the rail near the mirror.
    I would clean and lubricate the rails for the lens and CCD and also the gears between the iris motor and its arm.

Thanks coisasdavida! I'll be sure to check the rails again and see if there's anything sticky. Do you have any recommendations for lubricating the rails?

@everybody, I contacted Screen Europe and they were extremely helpful. They sent me the service manual. I don't know if you already have it, but if you want it just let me know and I can upload it or make it available through WeTransfer.

They indicated that it's been 5 years or so that they've done maintenance on a Cézanne. So they don't have all the knowledge anymore, but they would try and see if an engineer's available to help me. They will also look and see if they have calibration glasses to perform the calibrations on the scanner.

A very small amount of a light machine oil, such as oil for sewing machines.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Exactly what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    A very small amount of a light machine oil, such as oil for sewing machines.
    One other thing that could affect AF performance is the firmware. What about a firmware update?

I'm running the latest firmware that is available for the original Cézanne. I'm actually running it on a mac pro 2.1 with an ATTO UL5D and OSX 10.6.8. I actually thought about downgrading to see if that would help.

Peter, what would you use for the vertical rails? So what I mean is the shorter, single rail

It seems that my rails have lubricated before. There are some remnants of a thicker grease along with thinner grease on the vertical rails. I have cleaned and lubricated the rails with fine mechanics oil but to no avail. It really seems to be out pf focus and if I scan more towards the sides of the scanning bed, the whole scan looks like it was juddering while scanning (alongside the vertical rails). I'll post a screenshot of that tomorrow.