Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

I just found the info that the serial is supposed to be on the CD-case. Sadly, my case has been replaced by a new one, no serial visible.

I re-attached the old G4 and started up Color Genius 2 again. I wrote down the registration info in the splash screen, but at least the number does not seem to be the serial number.

Can somebody please check if the serial in the splash screen has anything to do with the real serial? Maybe I can derive the real one from the information that is displayed.

Christian

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Maybe easier to clone the drive and keep everything as it is, but inside the G5. Is it OS X?

It is for a Cezanne Elite, right?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Excactly, Cezanne Elite. Yesterday, I tried for about 5 hours to clone the old G4 disk, without success. I followed different guides, but either the G5 wasn't able to boot OS9 or the OS-X setup did not recognize the old OS9, or did not want to update it.

They say, if you can't defeat the enemy on this ground, get him on yours. I removed both the G4 and the G5 HDD and put them into my Windows 7 PC. I followed two routes seperately: using TransMac, I made an image of the old G4 HDD. Using a trial version of MacDrive, I gained direct access to the file system from within Windows, which allowed me to work on getting the serial out - in which I succeded.

So, for everyone who is interested, here is

A Guide to Retrieve the Serial Number of an Installed and Registered Copy of Color Genius v2
    (tested with v2.01)

The serial consists of three blocks, namely 5x A, 6x B and 4x C, in the shape of AAAAA-BBBBBB-CCCC.

The splash screen during the start of either the Color Genius client or server software will display AAAAA-BBBBBB. If you start the server with the Cézanne switched off, the splash screen will freeze during the display of an error message, up until you confirm the error message manually, leaving you time as you wish to write it down. You now have the first two parts of the serial.

Retrieving the third part is more tricky. I have to confess that I am a total newbie in terms of Apple computers. But I am quite skilled in the use of Windows computers. Using a trial version of the MacDrive software (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/standard), removing the PowerMac HDD and attaching it to my Windows PC with MacDrive installed, I was able to gain access to the real folder structure of the hard disk. It might be that there are similar ways for skilled Mac users (please report back so I can extend the guide), but for now, the following paragraph revers to what is seen under Windows.

On the HDD, in the root directory, there should be a folder called "System Folder" (my german version shows "Systemordner", and "System Folder" should be the equivalent translation). Within this folder, there are several other folders, one of them is "Application Support", which is of interest for us. Within this folder, you should find the folder "SCREEN", and therein the folder "ColorGeniusEXv2". The complete path should now be: "\system folder\Application Support\SCREEN\ColorGeniusEXv2\". I think the non-elite scanners where supplied with a non-ex version of ColorGenius, is that right? In this case, the last directory might be spelled without the EX.

Within the folder "ColorGeniusEXv2", you should see two files without a file extention, called "ColorGeniusRegistration" and "ColorGeniusServerRegist". Either of the two should do. Open one of them with a text editor (e.g. notepad) and search for your already-found middle block of your serial, BBBBBB. What you should find is BBBBBB, followed by "-CCCC". Here is your third serial block! Put together all three serial blocks in the shape of AAAAA-BBBBBB-CCCC and you are finished.

NOTE: THIS WILL ONLY HELP YOU TO RETRIEVE THE SERIAL NUMBER OF YOUR ALREADY REGISTERED SOFTWARE THAT WAS ONCE LEGALLY PURCHASED! THIS IS NOT A FORM OF A CRACK; PATCH OR A SERIAL NUMBER GENERATOR! USE THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Best wishes,
    Christian

Hi all,

I'm wondering what your capture sharpening routine is. I finally have a computer that can work with 4000 spi scans from the Cezanne (I used to downsample to 3000), and I'm noticing that the Photokit routines are not working too well with E-6 4x5s. No matter what Photokit setting I pick, Photoshop is finding very few edges. I know from previous posts that those with drum scanners tend to use unsharp mask with a radius of around .3 and an amount varying from 50 to 300, which I will soon try, but I suspect the Cezanne requires different settings. I'm currently playing with a radius of about 1.7, an amount of around 270, and an opacity running from 50% to 80%. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Peter Y.

Great Work, Christian!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Peter,

I mainly scan BW. For capture sharpening with that, I usually use Smart Sharpen (lens blur) with a .4 radius and an amount to taste. I also routinely use a HIRALOAM (High Radius Low Amount) unsharp mask, with a radius around 70 and a low amount to taste. I often do this before adjusting tonality with a curve, as HIRALOAM sharpening can cause the brightest areas to get brighter and the darker areas darker. If they are already where they need to be, then apply the filter using a mid-tone luminosity mask.

You might try various types of edge sharpening. For example, see: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...rt_sharp.shtml

Thanks Peter! I have not tried a B&W yet but I imagine the Photokit should work fine. I just read about the HIRALOAM method for adding a bit more micro contrast and will try it shortly. It has been a while since I read Evening's book, but there is a method in there for using the High Pass filter to boost midtone contrast. I suspect you are already familiar with it though. Take care.
    Peter Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian-NRW View Post
    I just found out that it is not a good idea to adjust the output profile in the fine tuning dialog. While one can set the range from 0-255 within the main fine tuning dialog, setting it for the output profile using the appropiate button and saving it in the respective file leads to being restricted to 8bit output, even if the modified profile originally is of 16bit nature. I have found no way out except to choose a different 16bit profile again.
    I am still setting up my new G5 to operate the Cezanne. During reading the update history, I saw a note that this issue has been fixed by the update to v2.12. So from this version on, one should be able to strech the output histogram to the complete range of 0-255 respectively 0-65535 even in 16-bit output mode and should not have to rely on the preset parameters by the chosen output profile (e.g. 20-245 is what I see often).

Concerning the streeks we have all more or less encountered: I am missing the source, I think I read it in one of the manuals coisasdavida supplied, but they clearly described the problem and predicted that it will appear within the first half of an hour of operation, which is why one must wait for half an hour for warm-up.

Christian

Another reason to wait is for the light source to stabilize. If you run a scan right after startup and re-run the scan 1/2 hour later using the same settings, the scans will not match.