Page 48 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

That's great Peter thank you!

I won't be able to get to it today, but I should be able to tomorrow. Sorry about that.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

No worries Peter take your time!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cezanne_Insert.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	98523

I built the insert out of MDF, mainly because it's inexpensive, easy to machine, rigid, and fairly flat. I cut it out to size. I left and area on the left for a calibration slot. I'm not sure if that's really needed. I'd have to look into it again. I routed out an opening for the glass holder for an Agfa T2500 scanner, mainly because I had the holder, and it's thin optical quality glass. Any good water white optical glass should work. Don't go too thin, as you really don't want the glass to crack when mounting film. I routed the holder so the top of the glass was as close to the top of the original scanning bed as possible, but plus or minus a fee millimeters shouldn't be a problem, as the Cezanne has a good autofocus system.

After machining the insert, I vacuumed it very well and put 4 coast of spray shellac on it. I followed that with a couple of coats of Krylon Ultra Flat Black, and I let the insert dry completely outside for a week or more before using it. In the picture, I lightened the holder quite a bit in post so that you could see it better.

Regarding wet-mounting versus dry mounting, I have some scanning to do, hopefully today. I'll run a dry scan first and then a wet one, and we can compare the two scans.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

I have been looking into the same issue.
    Your solution is great, I have lots of scanner glass here, many that would fit the same way.
    The only drawback is that I can usually mount two whole 35mm rolls of film on the entire tray and get a enormouns batch going all day while I work on other stuff. Less area means more setups.

I haven't found a plastics dealer that ships 1/4" thick P99 internationally.
    Focal Point sells a replacement AN glass sheet for usd65 and ships worldwide.
    Now I may have found a similar distributor locally.

When my p99 replacement platen became scratched the store i bought it from didn't have any 1/4" in stock. I tried out the thinner sheet (1/8"?) and its seems to work fine. However, Peter has some scans indicating that the AN surface of p99 (or ANR glass) produces a lesser quality scan. I've been meaning to try out some optical glass, but I'd like to avoid wet mounting if possible.

w.r.t wet mounting, have any of you had issues with fluid drying out on you. With Kami flluid and 4-4x5s scanned in 2-4000 spi strips, the fluid dries out too quickly. I also had issues with some "rainbow" artifacts in the scans that I think is due to reflections off the surface of the mylar.
    Peter Y.

You might have to tape all four sides of the mylar sheet with Kami tape. It's a pain, I know.

Regarding the insert, mine is that size because of the Agfa holder I had. It could easily be bigger. I would worry about 1/8" thick acrylic flexing, but I certainly haven't tested it. I have a source for the 6mm thick version. I'll try to hunt it down. It might have been: http://www.plasticareinc.com/Merchan...uct_Code=I6889

I've finished the dry scans and am moving on to the wet-mounted ones. The negative is 4x5" TMY-2 developed in Pyrocat MC in a Jobo. I scan in 3- 2 inch strips at 4000 spi. I'll have the results later tonight.

Here are two screen captures of files at 100%. They are from a 2" wide swath of a 4x5 negative scanned at 4000 spi. The settings for both scans were exactly the same, and no post processing was done. No sharpening was used. One negative was wet-mounted with Lumina, and the other was dry-scanned using a Screen anti-Newton clam shell carrier.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	98569

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	98570

Thanks Peter! I'm on my phone now so I'll have to have a good look at home, but for my use I think the minute decrease in resolution might not be significant enough to sacrifice the ease of scanning with simply sandwiching the film.

Guilherme, where are you located? I'm in europe and found a dealer in acrylics that seems to be all over the world, I have a few samples of their AR acrylic and will do some testing and post my findings here.

Hello everybody,

I'd like to chime in as I picked up my Cezanne Elite last friday :-)

Thank you Peter for your ongoing reports about how to operate this machine. So far, I justed checked that it is working. I am still trying to establish a way to transfer the scans to my Win7 machine without hassle. But the PowerMac has been cut back violently in terms of sercurity so that neither Personal Web Share, Mac Install nor even StuffIt Expander is still installed. Already spend about 6h without getting anywhere, but with the help of a Mac forum, I see some progress.

I understand the options quite well and the use of SD, HD and output range. I'll have to try what 6,94 in SD delivers in terms os shadow detail. I am not sure whether I understand this right concerning resolution: there is no way to determine/set the native resolution in dependence of the crop that I set, there is only an approximation by calculation the dpi by dividing 8000 by the size of the short side of the crop?

Best wishes
    Christian

PS: In contrast to back when I registered on this board, I am now not only a scanner operator and medium format shooter, but also (since two weeks) the owner of a Cambo SC 4x5 :-)