Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Supposedly the tray is $150, which is high but obtainable. But I'll probably try sanding/polishing a few sheets of acrylic from Home Depot first. Anyway, I think I found the number.U0750250-00 TRANSPARENT O. RETAINING PLATE

My latest tests are showing slightly, and I mean slightly, greater detail with my custom tray. I actually found my resolution test slide this morning, though, and so I'll have to run some tests with this.

I am new to the cezanne 5500 but am noticing newton rings while scanning 4x5 negs thru the plastic transparency cover that came with the scanner. It is the plastic sheet with the black handles on each side. It's rather heavily textured plastic worries me. I can't help but believe that it cuts down on sharpness. Mine is also scratched!
    Are we sure that wet mounting isn't better?
    Howard

Hi Howard,

I'm not sure. My tests last night showed no real difference with the wet mounting, at least with my fine-grained test slide. One issue with wet mounting on a flat-bed is keeping the negative flat if the negative is curled. On a drum scanner, you're fastening to a cylinder, and so as you pull the mylar cover sheet tight, it pulls the negative flat. On a flatbed, you simply can't pull the mylar as tight, and so the negative can still rise up a bit.

So far my tests show a very, very slight loss of sharpness using the AN holders. I have doubts that this would ever be visible. I'm really surprized, though, that you're getting Newtons rings. According to Screen, you're supposed to mount the negatives in the following way. Lay the transparent original retaining plate (TORP) on it's handles. Put a masking overlat on the TORP. Tape the negative emulsion down in the opening of the mask. Finally, lay the TORP down on the standard "glass" tray and scan. Doing this sandwhichs the negative between two textured surfaces, and so you shouldn't get Newton's rings. If you still are, and you're using bw negatives, try scanning as a slide and then examine the color channels in Photoshop. So far I only get rings when using plain glass, but I don't get the rings in the blue channel.

I've made some ICC profiles for the Cezanne using Wolf Faust's IT8 targets. If anyone would like them, PM me, and I can email them to you.

You would use my settings in ColorGenius. Then when you import the file into photoshop you'd tag the image with the icc file and covert to your editing space.

Just an update. Regarding making a good anti newton cover sheet: so far, no luck. I used methods recommend for making a ground glass using telescope mirror grinding powers, i.e. very fine aluminum oxide. With the acrylic this does produce a nice diffusion, but there must be larger particles in the AO, and this creates a few definite lines. Perhaps this is worse with acrylic than glass since the acrylic is softer. Anyway, I've simply decided to wet-mount all of my stuff anyway.

Recently, I started to scan some 4x5" film. The choice seems to be either to do 1 pass at 2100 spi or 2 passes at 4000 spi and combine in photoshop. Well, even though the settings were exactly the same, the results when manually stitched weren't ideal, as the tonal rendition didn't match up exactly. I'm sure that I could've futzed it some more, but at these file sizes, things are quite slow. (The scanner had been warmed up for at least an hour, and so that wasn't the issue.)

So I tried again. I used the channel mixer to convert both scan to bw using the green channel. I adjusted them using the "contrast" slide to match as close as I could. I then used "automate-->photomerge" to merge the two halves. Well, photoshop converts the BW to RGB when doing this, which is silly. It takes a while, but it did work fine.

I then downsized the bigger file from 4000 ppi to 2000 using "bicubric" interpolation with no added sharpening and compared it to the straight 2000 spi scan . The results are close, but the 4000 spi scans do produce better detail and sharpness on screen at 100%. Darn it. Working with the smaller scans is much faster. I'll have to print off some swatches and see how the prints compare.

With 4x5 a 2100 ppi file gives a 360 dpi print at about 20" x 26".

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I've made some ICC profiles for the Cezanne using Wolf Faust's IT8 targets. If anyone would like them, PM me, and I can email them to you.

You would use my settings in ColorGenius. Then when you import the file into photoshop you'd tag the image with the icc file and covert to your editing space.
    thank you peter for your generous offer. I've been so busy working a print process I haven't had time to scan in several weeks.

I got a Screen Cezanne Elite FT-S5500 without software.

I want to buy (guess I have to...) either a version of ColorGenius or ColorScope that runs with the machine.

Any sellers?

Up until now, I've used my Cezanne mainly for BW negatives. It works fine. Recently, though, I've decided to do some shooting with 4x5 color, and so I've had to investigate color issues more closely. I compared scans from Kodak E100G slide film and Portra 160NC color negative film, and I used the profiles I made from Wolf Faust's IT8 targets and PhotoIccMinus profile maker for the slide scans. These profiles lost significant highlight detail. Mr. Faust suggested that I look into Iprof, which he thought would do a better job with slides than PhotoIccMinus. You can find Iprof at: http://lprof.sourceforge.net/ . I used the same scans to make the new profiles as I did the old, and the profiles made with Iprof did a much better job of preserving highlight detail.

jetcode

I have the Faust targets and IProf and have had no troubles even with reflective surfaces such as art.

My Scanner Operator update the firmware on my Screen Cezanne FTS5000. I can no longer access it using my software (Colorscope Pro 3 on OS 9).
    I have called Screen and they told me the only way to change to firmware back is to use Colorgenius EX in OS X.
    It took Screen a week to get back with me, at a cost of $1000, I could get the software. One of the techs at screen recommended this news group to reach out and find the software from another user.

I just need to use the colorgenius ex software to change the firmware back.

Can anyone help me out?

I also do not have a SCSI port in my Mac pro. Atto SCSI card is $500. Anybody have other ideas for a cheaper solution for SCSI on a Mac Pro

Thanks,
    John Thomas
    dudefirst@aol.com