Page 12 of 107 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Thats what I did Peter. I scanned a negative (b&w) with the settings I mentioned before.

I import the file into photoshop w/o assigned color space. Here I was looking at each color layer, and there were huge differences between them, not at all like my previous scanner where the differences were subtle.

The overall scan is strongly red, almost as if it were the only channel operating, well almost!

The other channels were very different, almost significantly underexposed. If I use the provia color profile, I don't get back to B&W, I should at least get close.

I've just read the manual, did you calibrate your Cezanne with the Software "Toolkit".

bob

Hi Bob,

No, I didn't. From what I can gather, that would give a generic profile. I prefer to have one for each slide type.

By any chance was the negative you scanned developed in a staining developer?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

No its done with a standard type developer (D23-2 bath) and is neutral in tone, not tobacco stained.

I totally agree about profiles for each film type. But when I scan rgb it appears I am really off and the custom profile has to really work to optimize the final file. It seems it should be closer to neutral and the profiles tweak the output to (near) perfection.

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well.

If you could do me a favor, would you scan a b&w using the 16bit RGB settings and tell me if the resulting file is even "near" neutral. Mine are darkish red.

bob

I just looked at a 16 bit positive scan of a grayscale stouffer test wedge.
    Step two:R255, G254, B252.
    Step 13: R37, G60, B55.
    Step 31: R2, G18, B19.

So my file looks cyan in color mode with each of the channels intact.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Is the file red after it's been inverted? I'm just guessing, but if the scanner is in color negative mode, this leads to a much more sensitive green channel to counteract the orange film base. If the file is inverted in photoshop, then this could lead to a strong orange cast. So make sure that you really are scanning as a positive. Color Genius can be a bit of a pain with various "hidden" settings.

your numbers are close to what I would expect, scanned as a positive and very red.

Wish I had a densitometer.

I'm going to redo a scan this afternoon.

I'll send you a small jpg.

Thanks,

bob

The story only gets worse. I just ran a maintenance diagnostic check. Everything passed with flying colors.

Now the scans look fine, barely a hint of color in both the prevue window and in the final scan?? Even that is likely monitor calibration, don't have a proper way to calibrate this old mac,

What is happening here!!!

I guess I should be happy, but I would sure like to know what was wrong before.

Sorry for wasting your time.

bob

Peter and Bob,
    I would just like to know if my monitor looks reasonably well calibrated judging by the scans I linked to? My concern is if they're too bright/washed out? My monitor is an old Mitsubishi diamond pro. It's huge and should be a good monitor but I have no idea how to calibrate it properly. The provia 400 scan looks like it has some stray light coming in from the bottom and lower left edges. I am still scanning without a black mask so I guess it may be straylight.

Chris

Chris,

You really need a profiling system for your monitor. This is the most important element of the whole color management chain. I use a Spyder 3 Elite, which isn't too expensive. Otherwise, check out: http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

I strongly second Peters comment. I use the X-rite system, but they're all very good now.

Until you look at your files with a calibrated screen, you don't know how to edit them, especially for color. But much more importantly, if you calibrate properly, you can predict what your prints will look like within the constraints of transmitted/reflected light.

If you print your work, it will save TONS of paper and ink. That alone will save you enough in a weekend of heavy printing to pay for a quality unit.

bob