Page 91 of 107 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Is the scanner booting up okay? Showing all green on the lights once it's done its initial check? And just to be sure, you aren't turning on the Mac before the scanner has done all of that right?

Is this a turnkey system that was supposed to work out of the box? That SCSI card, I can't remember if it's the correct one. I think the only one I've gotten to work is the Adaptec 29160N.
    Scanner boots up fine. I had it running with a g4 running OSX and v2 of CG, but the hard drive died before I could clone it. I had just got the scanner and moved it into a new studio... turns out I should have done that right after testing it.

So now I have another g4 running osx and os 9 classic environment running CG v1. with my original 2906 scsi card.

I don't think a 2906 will work, and also, I'm not sure how the OSX with OS9 classic environment will work.

However, I think I can help you...I will PM you here in a second.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Is the scanner booting up okay? Showing all green on the lights once it's done its initial check? And just to be sure, you aren't turning on the Mac before the scanner has done all of that right?

Is this a turnkey system that was supposed to work out of the box? That SCSI card, I can't remember if it's the correct one. I think the only one I've gotten to work is the Adaptec 29160N.

I had the machine up and running on another g4 recently with that card and osx and CGv2. As I was movig into a new place, and had recemtly bought the scanner I guessed I would have more time to settle myself then clone the drive. I was wrong... lesson learned.

So I moved the 2906 SCSI card into another g4 tower running osx and a os 9 classic enviorment with CG v1.

I have this scanner for about 3 years and today after one year of stop, it isn't turn on. No led or other thing is on...
    I don't understand why it is not work... the last time I use works properly and today after a 1 year period of inattivity doesn't work.
    I would like to know is in case there is a fuse, or sometimes other things to check to make it live again?
    Thanks
    Stefano

I just replaced the very old hard drive on my G4 with an ssd from Other World Computing. https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDMXLE120/
    My Mac won't see any drive above 120gb, and so getting a bigger drive didn't make sense.
    My computer runs OS 10.3.9, and I needed to use a compatible cloning software. I used Super Duper:
    https://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDu...scription.html
    It was easy to use.

I haven't had a chance to check on scanner function, but otherwise so far so good. I'll report back later today on scanning with the new drive.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter, thanks for posting! I had no idea they had IDE SSD's! And not too expensive. I might get one myself, if you report no issues.

Back a few years ago I bought half a dozen old IDE mechanical drives on surplus for about $5 apiece. I have already replaced the drive in my G4 twice due to failure. Obviously surplus drives already have a lot of miles on them!

I just did a scan, and everything turned out fine. The SSD makes the G4 significantly faster. Before upgrading, check what Mac you have. In particular, check the maximum hard drive size. Many are limited to 128g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G4
    250g and 500g drives aren't all the much more than a 120g, but it don't get a bigger drive if your computer won't see it. I just had that problem. I took a 250g Samsung ssd drive out of an old system and put the drive in an external enclosure. I formatted it as exFAT, which works on both Macs and PCs. With my PC, the drive works great, but my old Mac doesn't recognize it, as it's too big. Maybe creating smaller partitions will help. Anyway, you then need cloning software that's compatible with your OS. Carbon Copy Cloner didn't have one listed on their site that went back far enough, but Super Duper did.

The OWC kit contain a IDE to SATA adapter, plus the sata drive. It's possible that just buying the adapter will allow it to work with any SSD of the right size. I don't know. At the OWC price, I didn't see that it was worth the bother. I set the jumper on the adapter to slave, installed the drive just above the old hard drive, using the second fitting on the ide cable, and booted the system up. The OS saw both drives. I ran Super Duper, specified the source and destination drives, and hit go. It took about 1/2 hour to clone the drive, including making the ssd bootable. Shut down machine. Unplug original drive, which I'm just going to leave in the computer for safe keeping, switch the jumper on the card to 'master', reboot, and Bob's your uncle.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Okay, so it's an adapter. Didn't know that existed, either - I last used IDE hard drives in my PC's back maybe 15 years ago, and never looked back, until having to deal with the G4.

I have software on my PC that reads and writes to hard drives using raw binary code. I have the 40GB Mac drive "virtually" archived, and so if I have to replace my G4 drive, it's simply a matter of hooking up the drive to a SATA / IDE to USB enclosure and copying the binary over, even though my PC can't understand the data it is writing. 120GB is more than enough - I scan direct to a CF card and then bring it over to my PC.

Yes, the adapter plugs into the sata drive, and the ide cable plugs into the adapter. Your software looks like it should work fine formatting the new drive.

Stefano,

I wish that I could help, but I don't know the answer. II expect that there are fuses in the power supply, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge. I would try to get ahold of a Screen tech in your area. If that doesn't work, perhaps there are places that sell/service used professional scanners, and they might be able to tell you some things to check. Finally, someone in this very long thread is contact info for a Screen tech. He might help, but I don't have time to find his info.