Page 97 of 107 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Hi everyone.

I recently scanned a color neg (as positive) and got some nasty artifacts (see attached image). Just wondering if any of you has seen this sort of stuff before. Scanned at 5300 dpi, no sharpening, no curve adjustment, setup set to standard. I'd appreciate any hint on what may be causing the excessive noise in the flat areas (1), and what looks like line skipping (2). You may need to download and look at the attached image at 100% or larger to see the issues.

Thank you so much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weirdLines.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	207962

My guess is that the linear motion system is not working smoothly. Another option is that there's some issues with the data transfer systems.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    My guess is that the linear motion system is not working smoothly. Another option is that there's some issues with the data transfer systems.
    Hi Peter, thank you very much for your comment. You might be right about the linear motion system. I had to open the scanner and put one of the two steel bars back into place. It had slipped out from one of the brackets that keeps it in place (see 1 in the attached image). While doing that, I noticed there was grease applied to those steel bars. I guess adding more lubricant may help.

As for the weird line artifacts in the previous image, the excessive number of lines in the sky area is something I can't explain.

For the weird wiggly lines in area (2) of the image i posted previously, I wonder if this has to do with how fast the data is coming off the scanner before being saved to the mac. It took something like 40min to scan 35mm frame at 5300dpi. I know there is a control for how fast the XY head moves in ColorGenius' preferences. I'm just not sure what the default speed needs to be, or if that speed needs to pair up well with the Mac's data bus, to avoid data being buffered before it's written out to disk. Would any of you know anything about that?

Lastly, the Cezanne has 5 rubber feet. I'm only affixed 4 of them and left out the 5th (the one in the middle of the scanner's bottom, (2) circled in red) when lifting the scanner onto its new table. I don't think this affects anything, but I wonder if not having that foot there introduces some minor bending to the scanner's base, which may affect how straight the steel rails remain inside the scanner. Maybe that small amount of bend might cause the XY mechanism to grip in certain places, leading the lines I'm seeing in the scan?

I'd appreciate any insights.

Thank you!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cezanneInside.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	207965

A friendly chap who used to be a Screen technician has posted in this thread. I'd send him a pm or email. He also gave a how-to on how to safely open the scanner and apply lubricant. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
    Lastly, the Cezanne has 5 rubber feet. I'm only affixed 4 of them and left out the 5th (the one in the middle of the scanner's bottom, (2) circled in red) when lifting the scanner onto its new table. I don't think this affects anything, but I wonder if not having that foot there introduces some minor bending to the scanner's base, which may affect how straight the steel rails remain inside the scanner. Maybe that small amount of bend might cause the XY mechanism to grip in certain places, leading the lines I'm seeing in the scan?
    This is definitely an issue. Can also happen when the table you have your scanner on is not rigid enough for the scanner. I went through this quite a bit with my scanner when new (to me!) and I had it on a much too flimsy folding table. Find something to support the center for sure, and make sure the whole scanner is well supported.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    This is definitely an issue. Can also happen when the table you have your scanner on is not rigid enough for the scanner. I went through this quite a bit with my scanner when new (to me!) and I had it on a much too flimsy folding table. Find something to support the center for sure, and make sure the whole scanner is well supported.
    Thanks for that. Did not having a central rubber foot or the flimsy table affect the quality of your scans and produce the same issues visible in the cropped section I uploaded the other day?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    A friendly chap who used to be a Screen technician has posted in this thread. I'd send him a pm or email. He also gave a how-to on how to safely open the scanner and apply lubricant. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Thanks, I'll try to find out who he/she was. There are many messages

Quote Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
    Thanks for that. Did not having a central rubber foot or the flimsy table affect the quality of your scans and produce the same issues visible in the cropped section I uploaded the other day?
    As I said, I had exactly that issue you showed, with kind of rainbow-colored lines where the scanner is hitching I think on the rails due to the sagging.

Put something up under the scanner to support the center and try again.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

And if you hear strange grinding/binding type noises when the scanner moves the carriage, carefully clean the rails/linear motion parts, and put a tiny bit of light machine oil on the appropriate parts, but try Bryan's suggestion first!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    As I said, I had exactly that issue you showed, with kind of rainbow-colored lines where the scanner is hitching I think on the rails due to the sagging. Put something up under the scanner to support the center and try again.
    Thank you! Will try that later today.