Page 92 of 107 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Quote Originally Posted by photo8x10 View Post
    I have this scanner for about 3 years and today after one year of stop, it isn't turn on. No led or other thing is on...
    I don't understand why it is not work... the last time I use works properly and today after a 1 year period of inattivity doesn't work.
    I would like to know is in case there is a fuse, or sometimes other things to check to make it live again?
    Thanks
    Stefano
    Hi Stefano . . .
    If the machine is completely dead, i.e. no LED's at all, then probably it is a power supply failure.
    It is situated at the left hand side . . . Remove the tray protection to get access to the side cover near the on/off switch.
    A replacement power supply may only be available via SCREEN . . (If you are lucky . . ) or via someone with a spare/scrap machine.

If the power supply is OK . . and the machine is an FT-S5500 . . Then I have a spare 'SCONT' board . . . (Only fits the 5500 type machine . . !!)
    Hope you can work it out.
    TC542

Thanks for contributing, TC542!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks everyone, I will check the power unit and other things... before to call an assistence...
    I will keep informed
    Stefano

Hello group,

after regular use I did the usual maintenance on my FT5500 (cleaned optics & mirror, lubricated rails etc.) to get the resolution back where it should be. As it worked well (from ca. 2500 to over 5100 after cleaning, tested with the USAF chart) I could not get rid of the jittered lines in high res scans. When checking the RGB channels I see that they are off just some pixels, which then looks like chromatic aberration in actual color scans. So the next step was to level the scanner precisely and giving it support from underneath as suggested. As it reduced the effect a little it is still apparent and also the jittered lines do exist.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S21_RMU_5000_011.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	197676

Here another converted Ektar 100 scanned at 5300dpi, which suffers from channel drifts and jittered lines

Name:	Screen_Issue_05.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	197681

Now that I did some testscans the scanner stopped twice with a loud mechanical noise, as if the drive forces the scan bed against any kind of resistance. I immediately switched it off and carefully moved the bed back to its default position. Now the scanner fails the startup routine after switching on the transparency bulb (all 3 status leds flashing subsequently in a loop) and reports two normal and one short beeps while the red (label: ?) LED remails on and the green (label: house) keeps flashing.

My first guess was that the left or front covers were not locked correctly but I can rule that out since this gives me differend beep and LED flash codes. So I removed the left cover and unfortunately found the following: it seems that the track for the scanning bed is based on some kind of ball race made of plastic, which loosened over time. In the image you can see the tiny balls beside the jammed and twisted bearing. Good and bad: this could be the reason for the jittered lines but did anybody of you had the same issue?

Name:	FT5500-res_03.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	197682

Does anybody has access to the service manual and could kindly forward it to me? Or even has a procedure to access this area since the rail is attached to the bed from below?

Name:	FT5500-res_04.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	197670

Any help is appriciated! Thanks for this fantastic forum and your contribution, as I learned so much from you over the years.

Kind Regards,
    Stefan

Hello,

after repairing the Coolscan LS-9000 (replaced a faulty IC in the power supply) I'm focussing on the Screen again. Will link my way / guide of disassembly later but for now I can confirm that the guiding carriage of the linear guide is broken. The part to replace is a THK SSR20, which here in Germany I can order e.g. under https://www.ekugellager.de/ssr20-xwqzss

Name:	THKSSR2001.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	198276

Name:	THKSSR2002.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	198277

Regards,
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan V. View Post
    Hello,

after repairing the Coolscan LS-9000 (replaced a faulty IC in the power supply) I'm focussing on the Screen again. Will link my way / guide of disassembly later but for now I can confirm that the guiding carriage of the linear guide is broken. The part to replace is a THK SSR20, which here in Germany I can order e.g. under https://www.ekugellager.de/ssr20-xwqzss

Name:	THKSSR2001.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	198276

Name:	THKSSR2002.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	198277

Regards,
    Stefan
    Thanks for posting this stuff man. Great to see there are resources still available for the upkeep of these machines. How did you track down that component? Did you manage to find any documentation regarding troubleshooting and repairing these machines?

Quote Originally Posted by FloydPhill View Post
    Thanks for posting this stuff man. Great to see there are resources still available for the upkeep of these machines. How did you track down that component? Did you manage to find any documentation regarding troubleshooting and repairing these machines?
    Hi All . . . .
    After replacing any parts on the machine . . e.g. Lens, CCD, linear guides, rails, etc. you will need a jig to align all the resolutions . . (11 off . . )
    The jig is called a 'Glass Jig' . . It has special lines on it the are for calibrating the scanner.
    I used to train the engineers with this jig . . It is not easy to setup the lens . . You need another lens mounting jig for this aswell . . !!

I tried to obtain one of these through my SCREEN contacts . . to no avail at the moment. . . (But I will keep trying. . . . )

Without this jig I'm afraid the quality of images, after your replacement, will not be any good.
    But you must try.

Hope this helps . .

Hello,

Fortunately everything looks good after replacing the guiding carriage. USAF-1951 gives me now 6 5-6 ! (with speed brake setting to /2 <=> Best), which is ~5160-5790dpi :-) BUT this is only in the middle so I need to run 8 additional samples around the bed. I will also check, if the color issue is gone doing a full 72 35mm frame set scan.

Name:	ColorgeniusSettingsUSAF.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	198443

Name:	USAF_20191214.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	198444

@TC542: Thanks for the hint. Do you have an abstract of the mentioned procedure? Would it be possible to simulate the Glass Jig with any kind of calibration slide (USAF chart)? Did the procedure require a special piece of software or could you use the maintenance tool?

Regards,
    Stefan

@TC542: Thanks for the hint. Do you have an abstract of the mentioned procedure? Would it be possible to simulate the Glass Jig with any kind of calibration slide (USAF chart)? Did the procedure require a special piece of software or could you use the maintenance tool?

Regards,
    Stefan[/QUOTE]

Hi Stefan . . .
    Sorry . . no chance . . . The 'Glass Jig' is a special piece of glass with etched in fine lines of varying resolutions.
    It came from SCREEN in an aluminium case for safety during transport as it was shipped around the UK/Europe.
    The software, that runs with it, is included in the 'Super Maintainer'.

Hopefully, one can be obtained and utilised by the group . . . (Fingers crossed . . . ;-)

Hi All,

New to the thread but have been reading quite a bit as while I shopped for one.
    Now I own a FT5500 and have it connected through a Mac G4 running os9 & Colorgenius 1
    The scans seem to be working but I can't open the files & have no idea how to get the files off of the g4.
    I tried hooking up harddrives but they're not recognized. I tried connecting it via ethernet to a google wifi node but it didn't get online and inexplicably crashed my wifi network until i turned off the computer.

Is there any way i'm not thinking of? Does wired ethernet between an os9 computer and an osX catalina computer work?

Thanks!