Page 88 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

I have put my Cezannes for sale locally, here in São Paulo, and already have sold one, now down to two that are kind of spoken for.
    I'll be away from this discussion for a while.

Sorry to hear that, Gulherme.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Ah, great, thank you all for your answers!

Tony: We do have 3 feet with the appropriate anti-vibration rubber mats, i jut thought there were 5!
    Peter: Only positives from clients, we do scan negatives on the drum scanner (rare occasion though)

I have set up a plan to do the following after our move is complete:
    - clean the scanner internally as good as i can (i think this hasnt been done before) and take out the 2 bulbs used for negative scanning as spares
    - set up the old PowerPC G5 I found in the storage with 10.3.9 Panther and color genius v2
    - update the firmware to work with color genius v2 on the G4 (can anybody provide a guide and what version i need to flash to?)
    - connect the G5 to the scanner and hope that it works.

Check out what firmware you have. Go to Screen's download page. Find that firmware. Now read the "readme" file for each of the next successive firmware updates to figure out which ones you need. You have to go in the proper order!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Quote Originally Posted by nfin1te View Post
    Ah, great, thank you all for your answers!

Tony: We do have 3 feet with the appropriate anti-vibration rubber mats, i jut thought there were 5!
    Peter: Only positives from clients, we do scan negatives on the drum scanner (rare occasion though)

I have set up a plan to do the following after our move is complete:
    - clean the scanner internally as good as i can (i think this hasnt been done before) and take out the 2 bulbs used for negative scanning as spares
    - set up the old PowerPC G5 I found in the storage with 10.3.9 Panther and color genius v2
    - update the firmware to work with color genius v2 on the G4 (can anybody provide a guide and what version i need to flash to?)
    - connect the G5 to the scanner and hope that it works.
    Hi . . .
    You cannot remove the 2 Transparency lamps . . . !! These are used during 'Initialisation' the do an 'Overview' scan.
    Hence you will get an error. . . . !!
    (You can remove the Reflection lamps . . .But this is no good for you . . . ;-)
    Regards, tc542

Alright, thank you once more for your replies, I wont take out the transparency lamps then :/
    One more question that came to my mind: can i simply take out the old scsi card from the g4 and use it in the g5? Is it still supported?
    Because I read about several issues with different scsi cards somewhere in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nfin1te View Post
    Alright, thank you once more for your replies, I wont take out the transparency lamps then :/
    One more question that came to my mind: can i simply take out the old scsi card from the g4 and use it in the g5? Is it still supported?
    Because I read about several issues with different scsi cards somewhere in this thread.
    Hi . . . Please read the attached files before you try and swap over from one MacOS to another . . . !!
    Hopefully you are currently using an Adaptec 29160N SCSI card that you are using . . .?
    Info should be useful to others aswell . . . . ;-)
    Regards,
    tc542
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christian-NRW View Post
    Instead of using the gradation curve, I invert the use of the HD and SD option.
    For a new film, I choose a daylight photo with white and black parts (best case: shot of a test chart) and begin by setting HD(!) to 4.20(!) and SD(!) to 0.00(!). This will already invert the image, but channels are not equalized yet and there is exposure missing.
    Then, I set color pickers on a black and on a white part of the image. I begin by first adjusting the SD values so that the black values of all channels are equal. I usually do not aim for 0 but for 10. The target figure is always the right figure of the color picker as the output is organised as: (original color / target color). The values of the white parts of the image are altered as well, which is why one should start by adjusting the SD values in the first place.
    After that, I am changing the HD values to equalize the channels. There are two options right now: equalize all channels to the highest number of the three channels (which, from my memory, should be the blue channel), and strech the histogram in Photoshop afterwards. Or raise all channels to an equal value of about 250.

This way, I got very realistic color out of my negative scans
    I have printed this post from Christian that I quote here and had it taped to one of my Cezannes, I removed it recently as it was going away, used it a lot!

I do things just a little differently. For BW scans, I go into the advanced settings. I first go the sharpening tab and turn it off. Now I go to the curves tab. I make a curve that inverts the negative. It's a pain, but you only ever have to do it once. Now, like Christian's method, the HD and SD options do the opposite of what they usually do. I set my shadows so that a sampler point reads 15/15/15. I do the same with highlights, but I don't go as high as Christian. I'm usually at 225/225/225. Now call the scan 000_BW_invert. The zeros are so it'll always be at the top of the list of scans. It can be at a low resolution. Next time you want to scan a BW negative, you simply load the settings. Color Genius keeps a record of all of the setups. Set sample points. Adjust HD/SD values. Double check resolution and magnification, as these can sometimes be sneakily changed by the preview scan. Name the file. Scan. What I like about this method, is that it automatically turns sharpening off. I found that I used to forget when I had to do that for every scan.

I haven't heard of people using a MacPro to drive Colorgenius and their Cezanne. I do and it has been working fine, so I though I'd list my set-up in case it is helpful.

Mac Pro (Early 2008)
    2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    16 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

OSX 10.5 Server

Colorgenius Ver 2.07

Cezanne FT-S5000

ATTO ExpressPCI UL5D SCSI card