Page 1 of 107 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

jetcode

Screen Cezanne Users Unite

It appears there are now 5 of us here that use the Screen Cezanne and Cezanne Elite. Maybe we can use this thread to exchange ideas and scanning experiences. Ted has been a valuable resource and likely the one with the most experience.

It turns out that most of us have Version 1.x software while I believe Ted has version 2.x. I have not seen these releases side by side to know the differences if there are any. As far as I can tell Version 2.x is a rewrite for OSX.

Feel free to share anything here and thanks to the LF forum folks for making this possible.

Joe

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Excellent idea for a thread, Joe. I will officially be in the 'Cezanne Club' come the first week of March, as that's when my scanner is due to arrive.

Mine is shipping with a version of CG1.0, so i won't be able to offer any inputs on differences in the applications beyond what Screen USA told me, which is reduced scan times (by half) and as you noted, OSX compatibility.

If you guys have any suggestions for a first timer that would help me along the learning curve, I'd be very grateful for any inputs.

Scott, did you buy a new Elite scanner? If so, what are they selling for now ? Did you buy direct, or a dealer?

When you say it will scan in half the time, I think you are referring to the Elite vs. the Original Cezzanne (non Elite). right? I don't think software was ever the bottleneck...

Scott got a great deal on a used Elite as I recall . They are still available new but are (almost) made to order. I don't think they sell 10 of them a year worldwide. The last time I asked, which was nearly three years ago, they were selling direct from Screen for 18-24K factory refurished and IIRC over 30K new. IMO, it makes o sense to buy one new when you get better all around performance from the Kodak/Creo IQsmsart 2 and 3 and a lower price.

The Elite's main advantage over the original Cezanne is its speed and it is a hardware/firmware change AFAIK, both machine use basically the same software. In the 2000 Seybold tests the original machine got overall slightly higher marks than the Elite.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Scott got a great deal on a used Elite as I recall . They are still available new but are (almost) made to order. I don't think they sell 10 of them a year worldwide. The last time I asked, which was nearly three years ago, they were selling direct from Screen for 18-24K factory refurished and IIRC over 30K new. IMO, it makes o sense to buy one new when you get better all around performance from the Kodak/Creo IQsmsart 2 and 3 and a lower price.

The Elite's main advantage over the original Cezanne is its speed and it is a hardware/firmware change AFAIK, both machine use basically the same software. In the 2000 Seybold tests the original machine got overall slightly higher marks than the Elite.
    did you investigate the yellow color cast in your Cezanne scan test?

Quote Originally Posted by bglick View Post
    Scott, did you buy a new Elite scanner? If so, what are they selling for now ? Did you buy direct, or a dealer?

When you say it will scan in half the time, I think you are referring to the Elite vs. the Original Cezzanne (non Elite). right? I don't think software was ever the bottleneck...
    hey guys, i picked up a used screen cezanne, not the elite. and yes, i was mistaken - the elite scans faster than the cezanne regardless of the software version.

Joe, not yet. Maybe later in the week. I've been busy with the magazine and scanning on the IQsmart 3 for clients and printing for a show.

However, since I've scanned since that one with no problems my guess is a powerline 'burp' .... I did notice the battery in the UPS is dead which would also kill the power smoothing functions.

jetcode

Joe, not yet. Maybe later in the week. I've been busy with the magazine and scanning on the IQsmart 3 for clients and printing for a show.

However, since I've scanned since that one with no problems my guess is a powerline 'burp' .... I did notice the battery in the UPS is dead which would also kill the power smoothing functions.
    power is not likely the problem as the power supply in these scanners is pretty high end and it would seem that a brownout would generate a power failure detection which is standard practice on high end equipment over the last 20 years, the yellow color cast appears to be in all the scans not just one and I notice the sharpness of what I suspect is a 3d object isn't that great? was it the elite that improved upon 3d objects, it was some scanner family that I read somewhere

well if you are done with your Cezanne I'm sure someone would like to buy it, the IQ3 sounds like it's serving you well

Joe, what do you mean by "apparent in all scans" there is only one scan in question, all the images you see are crops from the same scan? As I noted the color shift wasn't there in a couple of subsequent scans.

jetcode

Joe, what do you mean by "apparent in all scans" there is only one scan in question, all the images you see are crops from the same scan? As I noted the color shift wasn't there in a couple of subsequent scans.
    interesting - I suppose it would help if I read the actual test procedures - I would like to scan that target on my Elite to provide yet another sample for the comparison chart - if more than one scan was made how did the one with the yellow cast become the reference for scanner comparison? (not a problem Ted, just curious as it becomes representative for folks on this forum) - also it appears that the Cezanne scans are nowhere near as sharp as the iq3 counterparts and I would have thought them to be somewhat closer