Page 43 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

I've never seen that, but the folded colors in the blurry part does remind me of another poster a while back who was having a data transmission issue, if its a stepper issue it would be a specific place on bed. Move the film a small amount down he platten and up the platten and see if it moves with the film.

B

Bob

I think I'd check all connections and clean with contact cleaner. Caution dont use plastic q-tips, wooden only. I'd also check computer and maybe reseat boards, certainly check that one didnt vibrate loose.

Looks like data is these, somehow corrupted.

Bob

I agree that the data looks corrupted. I just don't get why it would only happen near the left edge of the platen and not anywhere I scanned. I will open up the computer and clean stuff another day - for now it's working in the center area perfectly so I'm not going to mess with it.

Again, I appreciate all of your input and help!!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

It doesn't seem to be a data transfer issue, as he's getting clean scans on some portions of the bed.
    Like Bob, I scan in the middle of the bed, fairly close to the left. That way you can set your preview scan to only cover the front 1/3 of the bed, which speeds things up.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter, just to clarify - it was happening when I was to the left. By "middle" I mean I'm dead-center on the platen in all directions. The lines were perpendicular to the scanner movement.

I don't know how stepper motors work, or anything else in here, so I won't venture to guess the issue. I did email the Cezanne tech - we'll see if he writes back.

I am glad this thread is here! Just set up my first batch scanning operation with 7 35mm chromes at 6000dpi to test small-format resolution, batch speed, and if it will work on such a scale - which is important, I'd like to be able to set up a full 135 roll of film on the bed and whip through it, or 6 4x5 negatives, or whatever.

Basically. The stepper motor makes a step, in a momentary pause, the sensor does a read and sends to CPI. Motor makes another step, sensor makes another read, and on and on.

In a color scan each step picks up one color, three steps, one each for RGB are combined to the RGB read including bit depth is recorded for each position.

A stepper motor is not a cog, it is a motor that just moves/pauses at an assigned frequency that is related to desired resolution, works or doesn't, not a place on platten.

It looks like corrupted mix of data to me.

I'm typing this on a phone, so forgive errors I'll edit later.

Bob

Bob, and Peter - no need to worry, I've fixed the issue.
    I'm ashamed to say it was mostly user error
    I'm excited to get to work now! I've already made a couple of new master scans for work that will be printed and displayed in a big show I'm doing in 2014. Thanks again Bob for all of your help and support!!

That's great to hear, Bryan. Btw., according to the Seybold report, a Cezanne can resolve nearly 6000 spi over the right sample area. In my testing, that setting lead to the finest grain with 35mm film.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

You're very welcome. Hope your as pleased with the Cezanne as I was. I'm going to miss it.

Pleased it all worked out. You may have one of the best examples in the country.

Bob

Peter - what do you mean by "right sample area?" I assume just a small enough area for the scanner to properly scan at that setting?
    My scans at 6000dpi on 35mm are certainly fine grained, but not exactly "sharp" at pixel level - but I think it's a limitation of the actual medium. That's with some color Sensia film though, which I just had convenient. I'll test some T-Max 100 tonight after I do some developing - I've got 5 rolls to do of various emulsions. Like I mentioned, I'm hoping it'll be simple enough to scan the whole roll at once!

Bob - I certainly can't complain about the condition! It looks 90% new. I'm especially pleased to get the Mac with it as a turnkey system.