Thread: Super Trekker II, 8x10 + SLR?

3d Visual Effects artist

Super Trekker II, 8x10 + SLR?

Will the SuperTrekker AW II be enough for an 8x10 (Tachihara) and SLR (1Ds2) setups? I would have 2 lenses with the 8x10, and 2 lenses with the 1Ds2. my usual hiking 1Ds2 lenses are 28/2.8 zeiss (small) and a 135/2 canon (medium, coke can sized). The 8x10 lenses would not be huge lenses either. I'd like to keep the lenses inside the pack if I can, but if some of them need to go out on a side pouch I guess that wouldn't be horrible.

On my Mini Trekker, I keep my 4x5 holders on the large flap pouch (looks like it's designed for a thick laptop?). Would I be able to keep 3 or 4 8x10 holders in the flap pouch of the SuperTrekker in a similar way?

I'm confident this bag would do well for a full 4x5 and 1Ds2 setup, but I'm wondering if it will handle an 2 lens 8x10 setup and a stripped down 1Ds2 setup when I want to take the 8x10 out?
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Re: Super Trekker II, 8x10 + SLR?

I think it will be fine. I use mine for a full 4x5 kit (Linhok TK45 which isn't a small camera plus 7 lenses) plus filters, film, meters, etc, so there should be room enough for your kit, particularly as you say your lenses are small.

David Whistance

Daniel have you ever been in the presence of a Super trekker? I can tell you its an experience! The Super Trekker is the size of a medium sized suit case with shoulder straps........externally its 27'' long by 17'' wide and around 9'' thick ....its a monster!
    If its not of adequate size for the gear you mention I think your looking at a pack mule or a wheel barrow! Not sure if you would be able to fit more than 2 8x10 holders comfortably into the inner pouch though? You really need to see the size of one of these things to believe it..........could you not go look at one before you part with the cash?
    Only strong backs need apply for Super Trekkers
    kev

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    Daniel have you ever been in the presence of a Super trekker? I can tell you its an experience! The Super Trekker is the size of a medium sized suit case with shoulder straps........externally its 27'' long by 17'' wide and around 9'' thick ....its a monster!
    If its not of adequate size for the gear you mention I think your looking at a pack mule or a wheel barrow! Not sure if you would be able to fit more than 2 8x10 holders comfortably into the inner pouch though? You really need to see the size of one of these things to believe it..........could you not go look at one before you part with the cash?
    Only strong backs need apply for Super Trekkers
    kev
    Daniel,

Have to agree with Kev's comments... the pack is one huge monster in size and weight.

There's an external (day) pack that comes with the unit that will allow you to hold about 3 or 4 holders.

I lugged a 8x10 Dorff kit around for a very, very short while... you'll need more than "just" a strong back for it!!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Daniel, you sure you want to use that pack? It is heavy like lead. I use the Phototrekker AW II, and the pack is extremely heavy, but it ain't nothing compared to the Supertrekker. You can fit an A380 into it, so no worries about capacity, it's the weight.

It's not just the weight (and I speak from experience; I have a Super Trekker AW that I use for my 4x5 kit,) it also has one of the worst suspensions I've ever attached to my back. It does a wonderful job of protecting the equipment but it's not a great backpack, IMO.

3d Visual Effects artist

I'm wondering if one of the F64 packs would be better? From what I've read, it's much lighter than the SuperTrekker, and appears to be designed for 8x10 nicely. I could (if no room was available for the SLR) probably attach one of my small surplus army bags that I use when hiking with just the SLR. Just clip it onto the F64 bag somewhere. I'm thinking this may be a better solution, and much cheaper as well.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    I'm wondering if one of the F64 packs would be better? From what I've read, it's much lighter than the SuperTrekker, and appears to be designed for 8x10 nicely. I could (if no room was available for the SLR) probably attach one of my small surplus army bags that I use when hiking with just the SLR. Just clip it onto the F64 bag somewhere. I'm thinking this may be a better solution, and much cheaper as well.
    Hi Daniel,

I don't know about the F64 but you might also want to take a look at the Photobackpacker system.

Bruce is very responsive in his email responses.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

the f64 packs and the lowe packs are a mile apart regarding suspension and support. the supertrekker i about the size of the sun dog art wolfe pack i had on our excursion. frikkin' huge! the f64's i looked at up close were not built that well for carrying any significant weight. Others say they are great but probably rarely lose sight of their car when shooting. That said, Gustavo here in l.a. has one he may show you.