Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CFLs bulbs in your darkroom...or anywhere

CFLs bulbs in your darkroom...or anywhere

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55213

Aside of the fact that these bulbs contain mercury and very dangerous in case of brakeage, I have noticed that even if you turn them off, they will keep emitting light for a long while.
    Turn off the light and look straight in bulb, you'll see.
    I haven't had noticeable damage in my prints or negatives, but I am going to replace them in my all house.

Re: CFLs bulbs in your darkroom...or anywhere

The mercury isn't the only problem with CFLs. But I do find it it rather amusing that we are actively going to poison ourself and the environment (at the latest upon disposal, or do you really think anyone is going to pay to drop them off at a hazardous waste depot site) in order to save said environment and energy.
    For once, the bulbs also contain electronics (since they are basically miniature FL's, they still need a ballast/starter of sorts), ergo electronic waste (heavy metals etc galore). CFL's are also more expensive to produce, hence plenty of the supposed energy savings are already going through the smoke stacks at Bulb&Co. during manufacturing. Oh, and CFL's are only saving you energy and money (and won't fail prematurely) IF you are keeping them turned ON for longer periods. They may need up to 45min to "warm up" and actually be energy saving. Maybe I am a bit dense in the frontal lobes; but where are the supposed "savings", if I can't just turn the light on for 5min when I need it (as with regular old style bulbs) and have to leave the lights on for an hour or so to be energy efficient? Funny thing that modern technology .

MJ's house is full of those bastard lightbulbs. We return to hers in the evening, turn on her bedroom light, sit in the dark for 5 minutes waiting for them to warm up, then turn them off a minute later to get to sleep!

I much prefer incandescents, as least I know on is on and off is off.

I'm just thinking about CFL enlarger bulbs... how crap would that be?!

That "WorldNet Daily" article is most likely a hoax: http://timpanogos.wordpress.com/2007...-a-light-bulb/

Here's what the state of Maine really says about cleaning up a broken CFL, and, of course, there's nothing about spending $2000 or any of that junk:

http://maine.gov/dep/rwm/homeowner/fluorescent.htm

Just google "Low Mercury CFL" to get more information from a variety of sources.

Oh, and most hardware stores that sell CFL's will take dead ones for recycling.

Another take on these bulbs. At first I saw this thread and thought 'I don't have any of those in my darkroom.' Then I realized I put them in all the basement fixtures a few years ago...and the darkroom is in the basement.

I found them suspicious for some type of pre-programmed failure of the electronics. As you know there is no filament to burn out so they make the electronics fry after a few years. Remember, light bulb replacement is an industry...

All the units I installed in 2001 have failed. Based on the price of these bulbs I consider that a big rip off. I didn't do the calculations but I suspect the people who make the bulbs did, and the savings in electricity probably just balanced by the increased price of these bulbs. Why give money to the electric co. when you can give it to the bulb co.?

The sarcastic tone of the following excerpt from the Sierra Club website (yes, I'm a member) is a bit off-putting, but the factual content seems accurate. I avoid CFLs in my basement darkroom due to the obvious problem of light emission for a while after lights-out, but do use them in my other rooms (and my newer ones seem to be "instant on" in contrast to Ash's experience):
    http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200...en_mailbag.asp

The quickness (is that a word?) with which the bulbs come up to full light is dependent on the temperature of the bulb. The warmer the bulb the slower it comes up, the cooler ones come up in a minute or two.

The older bulbs did not have as much life as the newer bulbs. There also use to be only the cool or cold bulbs, now there are choices of three wavelengths.

They are not suitable for the darkroom. I did a test with film, and it was 5 min.s before they would not fog film.

Mike

There are a lot of places where they are not suitable. Like any other fluorescent bulbs, they aren't suitable for lights that are turned on and off frequently; they are optimal for lights that are turned on and left on for extended periods.

They also have a subtle flicker that can induce migraine headaches in people who are prone to getting them.

I use them where appropriate, but my darkroom (when I finally build it - I use my father-in-law's for now) will be lit with incandescent light.

Quote Originally Posted by big_ben_blue View Post
    But I do find it it rather amusing that we are actively going to poison ourself and the environment...

About half the atmospheric mercury here in Oregon comes from China... Someone's going to poison us, and it may not even be us.