Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More RAM really makes a difference

More RAM really makes a difference

I just installed 3 GB of RAM in my 20" iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo to replace the 1 GB that the computer came with. PhotoKit capture sharpener on a 280MB RGB file used to take 5 1/2 minutes to run with 1 GB RAM in CS3, with 3 GB RAM it was down to 40 seconds. I couldn't be happier. I knew more RAM would help but seeing is believing.

FYI I got the memory from Other World Computing and it was just under $75 for 1 2 GB stick and a 1 GB stick, Apple wants $300 for a 2 GB stick! I just hope the memory keeps on working

Scott

Re: More RAM really makes a difference

Absolutely! I recently bought an old scsi scanner that runs in OS 9. A full resolution scan of a 35mm neg took about 5 hours. I then added 1 gig more memory to the G4 and the same scan took 7 minutes. That's a pretty good speed increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kathe View Post
    FYI I got the memory from Other World Computing and it was just under $75 for 1 2 GB stick and a 1 GB stick, Apple wants $300 for a 2 GB stick! I just hope the memory keeps on working
    There is no doubt that Apple charges outrageous prices for memory. OTOH, you can, IMO, go too inexpensive also. I checked the OWC site since the prices you quoted are way below what I am used to seeing from OWC, Data memory Systems, etc. I could be wrong but it looks to me like what you bought is not "Apple Certified" memory. Chances of anything going wrong are small but if it does and fries something else in your computer you will have voided your warranty by using non certified memory.

Memory is not going to fry anything else, it will just fail. And if it works at all, it will probably keep working. Just run some system diagnostics to make sure it is working correctly.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Memory is not going to fry anything else, it will just fail. And if it works at all, it will probably keep working. Just run some system diagnostics to make sure it is working correctly.
    And if it did do you think a $200 G4 is worth fixing?

Apple loves to taunt those easily threatened by technology into believing that only APPLE certified components (i.e. 4x expense) will work.

OK, so I guess I shouldn't recommend it. I knew I was taking a bit of a risk but I didn't realized how potentially serious it could be. So far it checks out OK with the system profiler and it is supposed to "Exceed Apple/Intel Specifications" according to OWC

jetcode

OK, so I guess I shouldn't recommend it. I knew I was taking a bit of a risk but I didn't realized how potentially serious it could be. So far it checks out OK with the system profiler and it is supposed to "Exceed Apple/Intel Specifications" according to OWC
    nonsense - thank you

my Apple MAC guru uses ALL kinds of different non-Apple certified brands and rarely ever has any failures, he backs his work - Ted is talking about violating the warranty on an expensive Apple product still under warranty. Personally I blow through computers once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    Apple loves to taunt those easily threatened by technology into believing that only APPLE certified components (i.e. 4x expense) will work.
    Joe, there is a difference between RAM you by from Apple ($500 for 2GB for the newest MacPro) and Apple approved/certified memory you buy from a third party (~$120 for the same 2GB).

While I agree that bad RAM won't fry anything else just be sure an Apple tech never sees non approved/non certified RAM i your machine if it is in for repair under warranty. Then, the difference in price from a third party reseller for the approved flavor is only marginally more so why mess around?

Joe is right ....... I am only talking about machines under warranty.

I think this is the same Apple that intentionally makes the batteries in the iPod and the iPhone non-user-interchangeable, isn't it?

Some RAM is better than others, but you will know if it is bad. Your computer will crash spectacularly.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Joe, there is a difference between RAM you by from Apple ($500 for 2GB for the newest MacPro) and Apple approved/certified memory you buy from a third party (~$120 for the same 2GB).

While I agree that bad RAM won't fry anything else just be sure an Apple tech never sees non approved/non certified RAM i your machine if it is in for repair under warranty. Then, the difference in price from a third party reseller for the approved flavor is only marginally more so why mess around?

Joe is right ....... I am only talking about machines under warranty.
    Yikes!

In the PC world we never experienced these distinctions from a PC manufacturer, there are definite grades of RAM (mostly reliability testing and warranty) but I have never installed components that didn't work regardless of cost.