Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to change Symmar from Sinar to other board

Japan Exposures

How to change Symmar from Sinar to other board

Hi --

so I impulse-purchased this Symmar 240/5.6 "Convertible" (great for summer, I thought ) for a few thousand today. Comes with a bit of Schneideritis and some fog, but that's OK.

But it is mounted on this Sinar board. How can I get it off there (no retaining ring on the back) and what size shutter am I looking for? The shop said it needs to be custom-drilled, but are the Compur sizes that non-standard?

Thanks for advice

Dirk

Re: How to change Symmar from Sinar to other board

Dirk,
    It's already mounted to compur shutter, I think it's equal with copal 3. Try to turn the shutter against clockwise, maybe the lensboard have mounting thread direct to the compur shutter.

Do you have pictures of rear element or the back of lensboard?
    And what other board do you plan to use?

The Symmar 240mm is mounted in a Compur II, EX-CII/5, shutter. Remove the back part of the lens, than you will see the retaining ring.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

For the dimensions of the shutter, see the thread linked to in my signature - click the link, then "show thread" in the top right corner.

Japan Exposures

Hi all,

thanks for your reply. Attached a pic from the back. There does not seem to be a retaining ring. Only a thread is coming through from the front. I guess you could put a retaining ring on it, but there isn't any. Could it be that this is directly screwed into the board? There seems to be something bolted on at the front? But if so, how do I unscrew it? It seems pretty tight.

I am thinking of Wista style board. Do I need to have it custom made?

Regards

Dirk

It probably is a number 2 Compur. You'll have to get a board drilled. Number 2 is a non-standard size. I have exactly the same lens and I have had to get boards drilled in the past.

I may be mounted to a flange that was attached to the front of the board (mine was). You'll have to unscrew the rear cell, and unscrew the shutter from the front. It could be tight after all these years. You can then use the flange as a retaining ring. Don't lose or wreck it -as I said, it is a non-standard size (not compatible with Copal 0, 1 or 3).

Japan Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Flynn View Post
    It probably is a number 2 Compur. You'll have to get a board drilled. Number 2 is a non-standard size. I have exactly the same lens and I have had to get boards drilled in the past.

I may be mounted to a flange that was attached to the front of the board (mine was). You'll have to unscrew the rear cell, and unscrew the shutter from the front. It could be tight after all these years. You can then use the flange as a retaining ring. Don't lose or wreck it -as I said, it is a non-standard size (not compatible with Copal 0, 1 or 3).
    Thanks for that Jerry. I have tried twisting the shutter in front (anti-clockwise) but no movement. It is hard to get a forceful grip and I don't want to accidentally damage the control levers in the process. There seems to be a ring with an indent behind the shutter, wonder if that's for a special wrench. Perhaps I need to give the whole board to a mechanic to transplant it.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

That looks like a flange mounted with three screws, from the front, doesn't it? In that case the whole shutter should simply unscrew from the flange. If that doesn't work you can try drilling out the three screws - but that will make it even more difficult to remove the flange from the shutter since there's less to grip...

Japan Exposures

Thanks. Do you think it's clockwise or anti-clockwise turn?

When you look at the front lens, turn the shutter anti-clockwise.