Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expired Film, very expired...

Expired Film, very expired...

What are your thoughts on buying expired slide film; worth a try or stay away??

I was looking at some velvia slide film for sale, but it expired 10 years ago. Was stored in a cool dry place until now.

Curious what your experiences have been with expired film.

Thanks

Re: Expired Film, very expired...

Quote Originally Posted by trink408 View Post
    What are your thoughts on buying expired slide film; worth a try or stay away??

I was looking at some velvia slide film for sale, but it expired 10 years ago. Was stored in a cool dry place until now.

Curious what your experiences have been with expired film.

Thanks
    In your example only if it is very very very cheap. Chances are transparency film that old will be really off color and have lost speed.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    In your example only if it is very very very cheap. Chances are transparency film that old will be really off color and have lost speed.

Don Bryant
    Thanks for the advice...

Is slide film more sensitive to time then color negative?

You're more likely to notice the changes in transparencies because there won't be any color correction like you'd get when printing negatives.

i use all kinds of film that is expired. i am using some C41 film that expired in 2004 with no problems. i use E6 film that is about that old with no problems.

i used 14 year old slide film that was stored in an attic that was no good.

i would say try it. can you buy a little and see how it goes? if it has been stored well it is probably good. obviously do not use it for anything important. i would think that 25-50 cents/sheet would be a reasonable amount to pay. keep us posted.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I have used ancient slide film (in medium format) that has shifted in its color balance, but if you scan, you can correct for this. Shifting in color does not mean absence of color, as would be the case of processed, faded slides.

Well this seller is asking 50.00 for 50 sheets and it actually expired in 1993, too much in my opinion...

I found some other 2 year expired provia slide film I'm going to try instead. Never shot on Provia, interested to see the results.

Thanks for all the tips guys!! Love this place.

Quote Originally Posted by trink408 View Post
    Well this seller is asking 50.00 for 50 sheets and it actually expired in 1993, too much in my opinion...

I found some other 2 year expired provia slide film I'm going to try instead. Never shot on Provia, interested to see the results.

Thanks for all the tips guys!! Love this place.
    Yes, that is too high a price for too old film. Another thing to consider..always be sure the "old" film you are interested in is still in sealed packages. Particularly the vapor-seal foil wrap that prevents the surrounding atmosphere from influencing the film.

I would never consider a partially used box of color sheet film, regardless of how well it was stored.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Yes, that is too high a price for too old film. Another thing to consider..always be sure the "old" film you are interested in is still in sealed packages. Particularly the vapor-seal foil wrap that prevents the surrounding atmosphere from influencing the film.

I would never consider a partially used box of color sheet film, regardless of how well it was stored.
    Will definitely buy only sealed film, thanks for the tip!!

Glenn Mellen

My personal take on buying outdated film: Consider the possibility that it may very well be good... but then again it may have degraded... one never can be sure and will take a gamble on. This applies also to films in sealed boxes. I've had two bad experiences shooting outdated film, both times medium format color negative films (Kodak NPC & Fuji Reala), both groups of film in sealed boxes reportedly kept refrigerated, and both outdated by approximately 3-4 years.

If I'm shooting locally or in a studio setting, I might consider using outdated film since reshoots can be done. But to me it's not worth taking that gamble when shooting "once in a lifetime" situations, or places I'm not likely to revisit. The cost of film when travel is involved is a drop-in-the-bucket when all things are considered, and something I personally won't take a chance with. For such trips only fresh film is used.