Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good internal frame backpack

Recommend a good internal frame backpack

First up, this is not for camping but as a general gear carrying bag. I've tried almost everything including almost every iteration of the lowepro packs and most of the tamracs, TT, Kata etc etc. Unfortunatly only USPS has benefitted from all this not me . Currently my favoured pack is the domke iguana 20. It's good but not perfect. Here's the gear that i want to carry

LF stuff
    Wista woody 4x5
    5 holders
    90mm SA f/8
    150mm DO germinar
    fuji 240A
    darkcloth/loupe etc

Digi stuff

Nikon D200
    AFS 300mm f/4
    12-24mm
    another lens (depends)
    sb800 and sb600 flashes
    assorted support gear (filters/remote/ etc)

All this the domke fits but it's a pain to repack as it's a tight squeeze. My idea is to get a good hiking pack and seperate the 2 types by using different containers. I've seen photobackpacker but would like to make this a DIY experiajnce for now.

I have no experiance with these bags and cen only see recommendations for the kelty redwing 3100. Any others? what is it that i should be looking for when i'am shopping?

Re: Recommend a good internal frame backpack

If you've had this much trouble finding a pack (and I understand, I've gone through much the same thing myself) is it not possible for you to get from Rochester to NYC and go to a place like B&H where you can bring your stuff along and try out different photo packs plus maybe hit a big camping store too? I realize you'd spend some money to get there and probably an entire day, maybe even overnight, but seems like it might be worth it given the difficulties you've had. With packs there really is no substitute for trying them on with the gear you'll be carrying before buying if it's at all possible.

FWIW I use the large 8x10 f64 pack for 4x5 and like it a lot. It will take my camera, five lenses, 10-20 holders, filters,meter etc. plus a bottle of water and a snack and still leave some room to spare. But I doubt that even it would carry all your digital gear plus your 4x5 equipment. That's a lot of stuff for one bag.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I went to REI and tried a bunch of packs. I brought all of my equipment with me. The salesman thought I was nuts. The pack which fit my frame well and supported the load comfortably was the Kelty Coyote, big brother of the 3100. If I remember correctly, the Coyote is 4700 cubic inches, of thereabouts. Ample room for what you want to carry. It is about five pounds, but it is well build with good support; because of that it feels lighter than many other packs when fully loaded.
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 12-Feb-2008 at 10:43.

Brian i've all but given up on the photo packs. There good for protection and short hikes but not much else, certainly not for the kind of gear that i'am trying to carry. Taking the gear to a store and trying out different bags is a great idea. But i still need some starting point instead of going randomly at it. Thanks for the coyote idea ron. I'll be looking at that one.

I'm really close to getting a Osprey or Gregory, can't quite decide. A good reference is this moosejaw chart, which list many bags by size, top or front loading, etc. It may help with narrowing the field before you go to try some on. Hit the Show me more button for a huge list.

I'm not totally clear. Are you carrying both kits together or separate?

An Osprey Stratos 24 would hold what you need to carry if it is one kit or the other. I bought one of these for my wife. Its a very comfortable daypack. Well balanced, well ventilated, and well made.

I personally use a Deuter Futura Zero 40 as my day pack. In it I can carry my Tachihara, 4 or more film holders, 3 lenses, Rebel XT with 2 lenses, full set of GND filters, plus rings and mounts, gore-tex shell, first aid kit, waterproof pack cover, 1 liter of water and a my CF tripod. I often use a mountainsmith accessory pouch to carry film holders. More often I carry it day hiking in the summer with first aid kit, a jacket, some fly fishing gear, slr with 2-3 lenses, filters, 2 liters of water, pack cover, lunch.

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/24...awk+Hiking.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    I'm not totally clear. Are you carrying both kits together or separate?

An Osprey Stratos 24 would hold what you need to carry if it is one kit or the other. I bought one of these for my wife. Its a very comfortable daypack. Well balanced, well ventilated, and well made.

I personally use a Deuter Futura Zero 40 as my day pack. In it I can carry my Tachihara, 4 or more film holders, 3 lenses, Rebel XT with 2 lenses, full set of GND filters, plus rings and mounts, gore-tex shell, first aid kit, waterproof pack cover, 1 liter of water and a my CF tripod. I often use a mountainsmith accessory pouch to carry film holders. More often I carry it day hiking in the summer with first aid kit, a jacket, some fly fishing gear, slr with 2-3 lenses, filters, 2 liters of water, pack cover, lunch.

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/24...awk+Hiking.jpg
    Trying to carry everything. Can you post a pic of your setup?

This is the back panel of my pack. The mesh trampoline style backpacks are really comfortable. Deuter, Gregory and Osprey make this style.

This is the front side of the pack. I think I put a camera bag or coat inside to hold it up. Its a typical top load rucksack.

I layer it with the tachihara in a photobackpacker case on the bottom. Usually I put 3-4 filmholders next to the camera on the bottom unless I use the accessory pouch. LF lenses go in next. I have a photobackpacker lens case and some lens wraps. Dark Cloth goes on top of the lenses Next go the filter bits. I've got the Cokin softside P series filter case and I use a small pouch for the rings and P series holders. I keep my SLR in a Lowepro off-trail 2 and I can put one more lens in a OR insulated water bottle holder. My jacket goes on the top or in the front stash pocket. I keep my big pack rain cover in the top pouch and use it to lay gear on as I pull it out of the pack. I put a liter of water in one lower side pouch and my velbon 630 in the other. A little food could still go in the top I suppose.

At this point, the pack is probably pretty close to the max comfortable carry weight. I have carried too much (40+ pounds) in this pack and it lets you know it.

Also, if you're looking and have time, look at Deuter's website. They have a couple Futura models with a main compartment that you can divide, with a bottom front zip entry. Futura Pro 42, and Futura Vario 50+10 for example.

This is how the pack rides. I'm 6'2", roughly 20" torso. To go to a pack with stays above my shoulder I think I'd have to find a 60 liter pack. Here the top of the stay is just about even with my shoulders and the waist belt is at the correct position but is not buckled. The two little silver things on the shoulder straps are think tank camera support straps. They allow you to clip the slr camera onto the shoulder harness and are my favorite camera accessory. Makes it very comfortable to have the camera out for snapshots along the trail. Kinesis makes a similar item. Both work well with the Domke gripper straps.

Reading the list you've got going there, you very well may want to go up to a 50L or even 60L size pack. The Osprey Atmos is a very comfy pack in this size range.

Mel-