Page 77 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocks and stones

Re: Rocks and stones

Angular Pool, Monument Bay
    Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic MCC 111 FB VC photographic paper, image size 16.3cm X 21.5cm,
    from a 4x5 Tri-X negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF camera with a 90mm f8 Schneider Super Angulon lens.

Yes, it is the same pool show in Graynomad's wonderful picture. The water level is maintained by a fresh water spring and a bit of wave spray so the pool looks much the same all year round. I first saw it years ago when working with a fellow photographer Graeme Parkes. Actually we both saw it at the same time and ran for it but he got there first because he was carrying a 4x5 outfit and I was loaded down with a 8x10. I sneaked back some days later and did this one.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Fabulous! I love the textures, geometry of the water surface.
    Thanks H2O.

Hey Maris.

Yes I first saw this as a print on Graeme's wall, liked it but thought no more about it. But a week or two later I stumbled across the same pool. Here's the diary entry off my web site for that shot

————————————————————

A couple of years ago I was visiting a friend (Graeme) while staying on the Sunshine Coast. We had spent the afternoon photographing with Maris and Zigi (two other friends also large format landscape photographers) on the shore of a nearby lake. With a collection of 5x4 and 10x8 cameras it must have made quite a sight.

After sunset we retired to Graeme's house and before dinner I browsed his small gallery, finding myself particularly taken by a shot of a very geometric rock pool.

A week or so later I was roaming the shore in the Noosa National Park when lo-and-behold I saw the same pool. My first reaction was "that's a nice shot", followed immediately by recognition of the pool as being the one in Graeme's photo.

Funnily enough Maris had also discovered the same pool and had photographed it although I don't recall ever seeing that print. Some people might be reluctant to essentially stand in line to take the same photograph, I however felt that nobody "owned" the pool or the image and proceeded to make my own version.

I could not recall the exact perspective of the print on the wall and it didn't matter anyway, the light and conditions were probably different on the day I was there. The shot would be taken, or not, according to what I saw.

I wanted to get higher to stretch the pool and create a squarer shot but the higher I got the more I lost the total reflection from the pool's surface and started to see the bottom. Eventually I reached a compromise and the result is as seen here.

Looking at the image now I like the fact that I can see some of the pool's bottom with the snail trails in the sand.

————————————————————

Interesting to see the different images of exactly the same thing, and different approaches with you using a 90mm and me a 210mm.

I'm building a camper right now, but when it's finished I plan to get out and about to take more photos. If I get down that way I'd like to drop in and catch up if that's OK.
    Rob Gray — Nature Photographer Extraordinaire
    www.robgray.com

Stone, Point Lobos, 1962

8x10 Cronar Press, 16-D, 12" TR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-img604.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	215841

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Stone, Point Lobos, 1962, 8x10, Cronar Press, 16-D, 12" TR
    The fine texture almost made me touch my screen.

If natural, one will be curious about the role erosion played for shape and texture.

Lava Beds National Monument

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB_cave_roof_LR1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	216100
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LB_cave_roof_final.jpg  
    Last edited by h2oman; 23-May-2021 at 11:49. Reason: too much contrast in originally posted image

Moss on rock at a park near my place here.
    Kodak Tech Pan 4415.

I had a lot of movements happening here, but I think I was too close to the subject and my lens too fast at F22 to get everything in focus.

Mossy pinnacle
    by J P, on Flickr
    Speed Graphic Pacemaker
    Schneider Krueznach Symmar-S 135mm

Dawes Oriental Garden by Nokton48, on Flickr

4x5 Sinar Norma 90mm F8 Sinar Norma auto iris Super Angulon. EFKE PL100 processed in PMK Pyro+. The + is a shot of Amidol. 4X 8x10 Aristo #2 RC Multigrade dev. Laser aligned Omega DII with Omegalite 180mm black Rodagon

I was doing a lot of architectural work for money at this time in my life.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Nothing to brag about. But loved the colors in Portra 400.

Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    But loved the colors in Portra 400.
    If you're not a purist, I'm thinking that this is just an (ambitious) PS session from being really special. At any rate, I almost always like "intimate" landscapes like this better than the classic tripod-feet-to-horizon approach--this one also seems to have enough strong graphic elements that a monochrome conversion might be worth exploring, especially if you worked the Hues panel a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    If you're not a purist, I'm thinking that this is just an (ambitious) PS session from being really special. At any rate, I almost always like "intimate" landscapes like this better than the classic tripod-feet-to-horizon approach--this one also seems to have enough strong graphic elements that a monochrome conversion might be worth exploring, especially if you worked the Hues panel a bit.
    Encouraging and kind words like this make the learning adventure even so much more enjoyable. I will definitely give the b&w conversion a whirl. Thanks for the nudge.