Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocks and stones

Rocks and stones

This is the first result of my very recent return to Rodinal.

Please post your rocks.

Re: Rocks and stones

Nice shot and nice idea for a thread.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 24-Sep-2008 at 16:37.

Lovely image, Colin! Compared to that, it's no great loss if you can't see mine. But I just checked and it loads fine for me, both PC and Mac.

Mick - thanks for commenting. What kind of a system/browser are you viewing it on? I am on a calibrated iMac with a gamma set to 2.2. The negative was scanned and then post-processed to match the display. The processing consisted of post-capture sharpening, a couple of curves and a couple of dodge/burn layers. The way I see the image on my monitor is from roughly Zone III for the shadow between the two rocks in front to Zone VIII for highlights. And it was a very contrasty scene to begin with.

That being said, yes, I still need to determine proper development - this was the first batch after determining ISO for this combo. I still need to pin down the exact development times for N- and N+.

Took a few minutes for your image to show up on my end, Marko, probably what Mick was commenting on as well. I edited my reply accordingly. That is a lovely sharp image with wonderful tones on my monitor- makes me wonder why I ever stopped using rodinal.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 11-Feb-2008 at 15:45.

Here is my fav rock shot. Shot in the Paria Wilderness. It is a 645 but it was the shot that said go to LF. Just a simple neg scan.

Right then. Here's a nice little rock face from Joshua Tree NP.

Bruce Watson

Hi Marko,

Colin is right, your posting didn't contain the image for a while so I made a lame attempt at humor.

Your shot is lovely, and has very good tones on my monitor. I've never used anything but HP5+/HC110, so was interested to see your use of Rodinal.

-Mick

Nice shot Marko. I've never tried using Rodinal....I've always found it easy to use PMK or HC110 Dil B. I thought they stopped making Rodinal.

No problem, Mick. I didn't realize it was a joke simply because everything looked in ordnung on my side. But yeah, I can easily see the joke in the context.

I used to love Ilford films in Microphen, way back in my film days. Starting with HP4 and on. I found Rodinal interesting with FP4 back then too, but not too much and it was easier for me to simply standardize on one developer and two films.

Now that I'm getting back to film again, this time LF and MF, I find myself having a lot of fun running film/developer combo tests. This one was done on FP4+ in Rodinal 1+50, and the next in line is Delta 100. And I can already say that I really love the stuff.

David, there are a few Rodinal clones out there and the original is also being sold again. I got mine at Freestyle. It's cheap, very easy to use as one-shot and it keeps long. It yields very little fog and very sharp negatives. Their processing instructions are almost spot-on, at least for the films I tried so far.

The only downside is - it may not be as good for faster films. I plan on running a bunch of tests with Tri-X and HP5+ in DD-X, D76 and HC110.

3d Visual Effects artist

shot in late 2007, I've been meaning to get back up there with the 90mm!

Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com