Page 78 of 86 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocks and stones

Re: Rocks and stones

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    If you're not a purist, I'm thinking that this is just an (ambitious) PS session from being really special. At any rate, I almost always like "intimate" landscapes like this better than the classic tripod-feet-to-horizon approach--this one also seems to have enough strong graphic elements that a monochrome conversion might be worth exploring, especially if you worked the Hues panel a bit.
    Nice contribution to change our view on this image, and potentially on how we pick our scenes and make compositions, thnx

Red Rocks, Morrison, Colorado.
    Toyo 45CF + Sinaron 135mm + Arista EDU 100 + HC-110.

Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    Red Rocks, Morrison, Colorado.
    Toyo 45CF + Sinaron 135mm + Arista EDU 100 + HC-110.
    Very nice composition, not your everyday landscape choice of viewpoint. In my taste it could use a few deeper blacks only.

Wonderful directional lighting, and like Otto I'm digging the composition. I'll be curious if your red rock AO will lead you to experiment with filters--a #58 green "cutting" filter might be interesting here (and I believe John Sexton has shot a lot of work with blue filters as well.) No doubt that would lead to a lot of fine tuning with your metering/development, but that part of the world certainly lends itself to the "fine art b/w" approach.

Otherwise, as a general comment (mainly based on a previous thread) I think it's important to remember to take criticism with a grain of salt when it's based on Web-sized images; i.e., what might seem mundane on a laptop might have a powerful aesthetic impact as, say, a 30"x40" C-print.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Otherwise, as a general comment (mainly based on a previous thread) I think it's important to remember to take criticism with a grain of salt when it's based on Web-sized images; i.e., what might seem mundane on a laptop might have a powerful aesthetic impact as, say, a 30"x40" C-print.
    Yes, agree

Kmallick, I like this image very much. The little highlight counterpoints throughout the image are delightful. The composition is quite complex, and you have made an admirable image. I find the tonality appropriate and don;t miss a stronger contrast.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Thank you all for the kind words and critique. It makes it all worthwhile.

Unsure if this is really a rock or a tree image, but rocks win by area.

Rock shelter, Tidbinbilla.

Horseman L45
    Schneider 135mm Symmar-S
    Fomapan 200
    Hoya Orange filter.

This was a good test for my metering, happy with the result.

Rock shelter
    by J P, on Flickr
    Speed Graphic Pacemaker
    Schneider Krueznach Symmar-S 135mm

Excellent, that's a photograph that really works the boundary between "landscape" and abstract. If I were scrambling around on that terrain, though, I think I'd want to find a means to control the tonal values of the vegetation--darker, perhaps, here to add more of a graphic element; lighter perhaps in a close-up that leveraged upper midtones. (Oh, and you really want that 5x7...)