Page 79 of 86 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocks and stones

Re: Rocks and stones

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Excellent, that's a photograph that really works the boundary between "landscape" and abstract. If I were scrambling around on that terrain, though, I think I'd want to find a means to control the tonal values of the vegetation--darker, perhaps, here to add more of a graphic element; lighter perhaps in a close-up that leveraged upper midtones.
    Thanks for the kind words. And yes I am taking note, I appreciate the pointers and advice. Sometimes I am in a hurry, but suggestions like this are worth keeping in mind for next adventure.

(Oh, and you really want that 5x7...)
    Please don't make me more anxious than I already am ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken tree.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	218283

Rock vs. tree w/ a patch of snow in July.

Judging by the remains in the foreground, this rock is an undefeated champion.

(N. Cascades, Wash. state)

Tachi 4x5
    Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
    Velvia-50 old version
    Epson 4990/EpsonScan

Lots of mistakes made in the picture. I still feel good about jumping into the middle of the dirt road with my tripod and Toyo 45CF to take a shot while the cars are coming around the corner behind me.

Toyo 45CF + 150mm + Fuji NPS 160

Excellent, a great color palette but what I'm really digging is the sculptural (almost anthropomorphic) quality of the outcrop in the center. It might be worth playing around with a square crop (viewer's left) or a 5x7() across the center of the frame in hopes of creating a kind of visual hierarchy that sorts the individual elements in what is otherwise a fairly busy scene.

It might be worth playing around with a square crop (viewer's left) or a 5x7() across the center of the frame in hopes of creating a kind of visual hierarchy that sorts the individual elements in what is otherwise a fairly busy scene.
    Thank you!
    Great tips. I will play around with your suggestions for sure. And need to revisit with a 5x7 in due time.

Red Rock Canyon, Colorado Springs

Toyo 45CF + Sironar-N 150mm + Delta 100 + Rodinal

Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    Red Rock Canyon, Colorado Springs
    Definitely liking this one as well--the concentric curves of water and stone outcrops provide a great rhythm. On a related note, I wouldn't have any ethical issues with your cloning out the snag and vegetation in the lower right (here in Tennessee we'd use a Husqvarna and a come-along, but that's just how we roll.)

Definitely liking this one as well--the concentric curves of water and stone outcrops provide a great rhythm. On a related note, I wouldn't have any ethical issues with your cloning out the snag and vegetation in the lower right (here in Tennessee we'd use a Husqvarna and a come-along, but that's just how we roll.)
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

I can definitely relate to your comments about Husqvarna and come-along, having lived in the south for a few years.
    Thank god for the 3-way pan head and/or photoshop. I didnt use the latter but was tempted to clone out the twigs.
    Last edited by kmallick; 19-Aug-2021 at 22:31.

One with Ektar on sunset.

Toyo 45CF + APO-Symmar 120, cropped.

Last edited by kmallick; 5-Oct-2021 at 05:44.