Thread: Screw driver size for Master Technika GG clips?

Screw driver size for Master Technika GG clips?

I have a Master Technika with what appears to be the 6 black OEM screws and clips holding on the ground glass. I want to remove the GG but can't find a screw driver to fit. The width of the blade is about 5-6mm wide but the slot is much narrower than 1mm. In comparison a regular 3/16" slotted screw driver is about the same width but fits a much wider slot.

I'm assuming this must be some sort of 5 or 6mm precision type slotted screw driver?

Local hardware stores and so forth don't have anything. I'm hoping someone can tell me the correct size so I can order it online.

Thanks!

Re: Screw driver size for Master Technika GG clips?

I don't have a Technika, but it sounds like you need a set of jeweler's screwdrivers. Some hardware stores carry them, and they are available at most precision tool sources.

To get a perfect fit, you will have to grind a screwdriver to match the slot. Grind slowly, and keep it cool so you don't soften the metal.

I use a Starett jewler's screw driver. The largest size that they make.

You don't need a precision instrument for this. I've done it twice with Technikas and I just used a small screwdriver from a set of small screwdrivers you can buy at Home Depot or any decent hardware store. My set contains six screwdrivers ranging in size from 1/32 to 9/64. I think I used the 9/64 on the Technikas. This isn't a difficult project, if I can do it anybody can. Just make sure you keep track of where each of the thin metal pieces and the screws came from.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Sorry, I just checked and the set of screwdrivers I have didn't come from a hardware store, they're labelled "Radio Shack."
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Sears craftsman tools has some nice precision screwdrivers that won't break the tip under a load like the $10 sets you see at Radio Shack. I use a phillips size #00 x 40 that works nice for most camera repair work. You can also get sets with #0 and #000. Sears sells them in sets and individually.

You could also drag your Technika into a local Sears and check which one fits. Most of the precision screwdrivers are not packaged. I would do this if it is possible

One other note - In addition to my Craftsman screwdrivers, I have a couple German made Wiha precision screwdrivers. I have one #00 that I have owned for 15 years and used to bust lose many lens mounts on my Nikons for repair. The tips still look new and are not damaged.

http://www.wihatools.com/pro_Precision.htm